Only at first glance an uninitiated person may think that the destruction of insects in an apartment is just spraying walls and furniture with special means from spray cans or spray guns. "Popshikal" them in the air, on the floor - and it's ready, the corpses of dead parasites cover the floor and the apartment is forever protected from their repeated invasion ...
However, in practice, everything turns out to be much more complicated, since a number of questions immediately arise:
- What drug should I use? Will, for example, a cockroach remedy effective against bugs, ants or fleas, and vice versa?
- And how much specifically selected drug is safe for human health and pets? And are there any of them generally safe?
- And where, in fact, it is necessary to process? .. If we struggle with fleas - means, animals? But after all, fleas have eggs, which are full in the apartment, there are vermicular larvae, which are not at all on the animal. And other insects also have their own biological characteristics, which must be taken into account for their effective destruction.
Therefore, the approach to the destruction of insects should always be comprehensive and take into account a number of important nuances, which we will discuss further.
On a note
A set of measures for the destruction of insects is called disinsection. This word comes from the French des - extermination and the Latin insectum - an insect.
The procedure for the destruction of insects at home usually consists of the following stages:
- Identification of insect species in the apartment , which is planned to be destroyed. The fact is that many preparations for the destruction of insects are specific and focused only on certain pests. For example, insecticidal gels allow effective and time-saving cockroaches, but against bed bugs they will be absolutely useless. Therefore, the enemy, as they say, you need to know in person.
- Identification of places of flocks of insects in the apartment, as well as the main ways to move them.
- Choosing an insecticide.
- Preparation of the room for processing.
- Carrying out pest control.
- Cleaning of the room.
- Implementation of preventive measures.
Approximately the same plan is the simultaneous destruction of insects and rodents in private homes, basements, attics and industrial premises, including with the involvement of professional services of pest control (only against rodents other means than insects are used).
The most common in apartments have to deal with the following insects:
- Cockroaches - large black and small red (Prusaki). In rare cases, both of these species can "live" in the house, although usually red cockroaches sooner or later displace black. All of them usually keep on kitchens, in closets, on loggias behind furniture and in it, behind skirting boards, near trash buckets.
- Home ants (they are Pharaohs) are red and very small, only 2-3 mm in length. Settled can be anywhere, even outside the premises. Sometimes the colonies of ants form a kind of communicating network of anthills located in different apartments - a super-hive. Accordingly, the destruction of one such anthill in a separate apartment will not be enough to permanently get rid of these insects.
- A moth, in which some species harm clothes and stay in closets and bedside tables (clothes), while others eat groceries and meet in the kitchen and in places where cereals and pasta (food) are stored.
- Bed bugs, living more often in the bedrooms - in furniture, under mattresses, in bedside tables next to the beds. With a significant infestation of the room bugs can be anywhere, even in home appliances. These bloodsucking parasites are especially unpleasant and even dangerous with their bites.
- Fleas, most often keep near recreation places for pets. Their larvae can be found in the corners of the apartment, in dust and trash cans. Adult fleas are potential carriers of dangerous diseases and are able to bite not only animals but also humans.
Effective destruction of each of these insects requires the use of different means and methods.
Methods of struggle
Perhaps one of the most universal and simple methods of insect destruction in the room is the use of insecticides sprayed either from a ready-to-use aerosol can, or with preliminary dilution of the concentrate and spraying it from a domestic spray. Many of these drugs have a very wide spectrum of activity against the most diverse types of insects, and when used correctly are safe enough for humans and pets.
Such funds sometimes allow you to completely destroy insects in the apartment in just a few hours.
You can also destroy insects in an apartment using the following methods:
- Deploying poisoned baits, effective, for example, against cockroaches, ants and wet-bugs - insects that feed on various food residues. But against moths , bedbugs and fleas they do not work.
- Setting traps for insects. There are different types of traps that differ in the principle of action (glue, electric discharge, insecticide, etc.) and the type of insects they are designed to catch. It is important to consider that usually traps do not allow to destroy the entire population, and their action is stretched in time.
- Freezing or, conversely, destroying pests with heat (it will be necessary to open all windows in winter, or to include several special heat generators to create a high temperature). However, the freezing of the whole apartment is fraught with the destruction of heating pipes, and taking out individual furniture to freeze often does not allow you to destroy all insects in the room. To raise the same temperature in the room will require special expensive equipment for the destruction of insects by heat (which, incidentally, is not always affordable even for some professional services of pest control).
- You can, at last, try to exterminate insects with folk remedies - alcohol or kerosene, steam or decoctions of various herbs (wormwood, tansy). Usually these are ineffective and rather labor-consuming methods that practically never give a reliable result.
And, finally, the most effective and simple method of getting rid of insects is to call special brigades of pest control. Because of the constantly spreading of parasites and pests in cities, the business of insect destruction flourishes not only in regional centers, but even in large megacities and small towns. And if you find really conscientious pest control, they are guaranteed to destroy insects, and the owners of the premises will only have to clean the apartment after their work.
On a note:
Most insect fighting services offer not only disinsection, but also services for deratization of premises, that is, the destruction of rodents.
Means for removing insects from the apartment
For self-destruction of insects in the apartment, optimal means are, perhaps, modern insecticide preparations without a smell. Many of them have already been adapted for household use, are packed in small containers and are available in the form of concentrates. It is enough to dilute such a concentrate with water, pour it into any household spray - and the product is ready for use.
Among the rather effective drugs, for example, are the following: Get, Lambda Zone, Delta Zone, Dobrokh FOS, Executioner, etc. Often they are even more effective than aerosol preparations, and if necessary, the entire treatment of the whole apartment or home is more economical .
When using any insecticide, however safe it is, it is important to use personal protective equipment: rubber gloves, respirator, safety glasses.
On a note
Workers of pest control services often use insecticide concentrates for professional use: Tetrix, Sinuzan, Diazinon, etc. They are really very effective, but they have a strong and unpleasant smell, and are quite toxic even for humans.
Aerosol preparations for the destruction of insects are the widely known Raptor, Reid, Combat, Dichlophos and various clones. Usually, they contain additional fragrances that mask the smell of the active ingredients. These tools are easy to use, but if you need total processing of the apartment are very expensive.
Both aerosols and concentrates for dilution and subsequent spraying should be used in cases where insects need to be destroyed quickly and all at once.
Among the poisoned baits against insects, the most popular are the globol, Raptor, Absolute, Domovoi, Dohloks, Fas gels. They are very attractive for ants and cockroaches, almost leave no traces on the surfaces after drying and destroy insects, even just dirty in the preparation.
Insecticidal gels are particularly useful when insects in the house are not very numerous and there is no urgent need to conduct massive harassment. With the help of gels, cockroaches and ants, for example, are not withdrawn immediately, but within a few weeks, but the entire process proceeds unnoticed for the residents of the house, there is no unpleasant odor in the room, there is no risk of poisoning the agent.
It is interesting
One drop of German gel from Globol cockroaches contains the amount of insecticide sufficient to kill about 500 adult individuals. Although in practice, of course, die much less, as most of the money is spent idle (just dries).
Now a few words about the traps for insects. Traps are of different types:
- Sticky hanging, used against adults of food moths and flies. They are very effective - with their help you can catch all flying insects in the house in a few days. But such aesthetic devices, especially with the insects adhering to them, is unlikely to be called ...
- Expanding sticky traps - they are placed on the floor in places of movement of insects or together with a strong-smelling bait. If the location is correctly chosen, they can be very effective against any creeping insects.
- Carbon dioxide traps used against bedbugs. In our country they are not sold, but abroad they are only tested "in field" conditions.
- Lamp traps that destroy night butterflies and mosquitoes. They are usually applied in the courtyards of private houses, occasionally in apartments.
- Electric "houses" from cockroaches. They are comparable in effectiveness to sticky expanding traps, but can be used many times.
Insecticidal powders and crayons (pencils) are, according to the type of action, contact poisons, or contact-intestinal action-insects are poisoned by simply running through them and then cleaning their paws and mustaches, sometimes eating up particles of the remedy. Compared with aerosols and sprays, powders and crayons are generally less effective.
Folk remedies for insects are used either in the inaccessibility of industrial preparations or in the fear of the owner of the apartment to be poisoned by "chemistry". Really effective among them are borax and boric acid , which are added to baits for cockroaches and ants. Also, you can separately note powder from dried chamomile, with the help of which destroy nests of bedbugs and anthills.
Instructions for the self-destruction of insects
Before the destruction of insects with sprays and aerosols, it is necessary first of all to worry about the safety of the tenants of the premises. All people and pets should be taken out of the apartment for the duration of the work. The whole procedure will take about 5-6 hours, so this day is worth planning a picnic or a visit to relatives.
All dishes in the room and guaranteed not infected with insects clothes are packed in plastic bags. Furniture is moved away from the walls, bed linens are removed from the beds, and carpets are removed from the walls.
If a concentrate is used, it should be diluted in accordance with the instructions in water and poured into a household spray. For this purpose, suitably, for example, containers from household cleaners.
Further, all surfaces in the apartment (and against moths including the ceiling) are sprayed with the drug. Particular care should be taken to cover the places of shelters of insects, corners, crevices, plinth, heaps of debris, linoleum edges, parquet, kitchen furniture. After spraying the carpets, they should be rolled up and the surface treated under them.
After that, the apartment costs several hours, then it is ventilated, all surfaces in it are washed out with a damp rag, things and linens are erased.
Treatment of the premises with sprays and aerosols can be carried out only in personal protective equipment - a respirator, gloves, clothing with a long sleeve. If there is a symptom of poisoning, you must stop working, go to fresh air, if necessary, consult a doctor.
When using poison baits, it is necessary to lay them around the places of insect cover and on the way of moving around the apartment. Gels from cockroaches and ants are applied in dotted lines, baits with boric acid simply decompose into corners. Similarly traps are arranged. From time to time, bait needs to be updated, and traps can be cleaned from dead insects or replaced with new ones.
We call the professionals: what needs to be done?
Professional pest control relieves the customer of the most difficult work - in fact, from the processing of the premises. But before their arrival it is necessary to prepare:
- to clean things and dishes in packages;
- push the furniture away from the walls;
- remove bed linen from bed, sometimes - curtains from windows;
- provide access to the walls in store rooms and closets.
Many companies offer to conduct these works for an additional fee. They can also restore order in the room after the destruction of insects.
If the treatment is performed by the pest control service, there should be no one in the room except the handler and the host. The latter is issued a respirator and gloves.
Protection of the apartment against insects is an integral part of the struggle
After the destruction of insects in the apartment, care must be taken that they do not infiltrate here again:
- Close the ventilation holes with thick mesh.
- Regularly lubricate wormwood decoctions or tansy boxes of doors and windows.
- Hang in the cabinets of the section from moths.
- To check the purchased products for the presence of larvae of moths or ants in them.
If neighboring neighbors have cockroaches or bed bugs, special chalks or barrier aerosols should be regularly updated around the windows, ventilating doors and entrance doors, and in the bathroom and toilet place traps that will catch random "defectors".
In conclusion, we note that although methods for controlling domestic insects are well developed, the number of parasites and pests in apartments, even in large cities, is steadily growing. And this problem is global - with insects are equally intensively fighting in Europe, the US, Russia and the Southeast Asian countries. Accordingly, the business of destroying insects is actively developing, and with the right approach and the purchase of insecticides in bulk, it turns out to be quite profitable.
In addition, to master the process of breeding insects, having the appropriate equipment is not difficult, and starting investments in such a case amount to about 4-5 thousand dollars. It is not surprising that the number of companies offering insect destruction is constantly growing, and, unfortunately, sometimes this leads to the emergence of small and not very professionally working firms. Therefore, it is important for consumers to be able to choose from them those services which, with reasonable money, reliably, quickly, qualitatively and with a guarantee will help get rid of insects.