Perhaps, the first thing you should know about the prevention of the appearance of bed bugs in the apartment is that without the elementary measures of protection of the premises, even the minimal threat of its infection with bugs very often leads to this very infection. Simply put: if there are bedbugs in your neighbors, and you do not take preventive measures - parasites with almost 100% probability will appear in you, it's only a matter of time. If your relatives have bedbugs, and you go to visit them (or they are to you) and, again, do not take protective measures - well, get ready for regular night bites.
Surprisingly, many people seriously believe that bugs appear, like cockroaches, only in unscrupulous families, in mud and unsanitary conditions. It is understandable: most people in life have not seen bed bugs and are absolutely sure that they will definitely miss their apartment.
It is interesting
When bedbugs still reliably settle in the apartment, the owners often hesitate to tell their neighbors and relatives about it, fearing a disgusting attitude on their part. Sometimes it comes to the fact that all apartments on the floor are infected, but neighbors are silent about it to each other. And the situation becomes clear only when the SES is working, whose staff details the degree of infection at home.
Meanwhile, without appropriate preventive measures, bedbugs can appear even in the cleanest family, and it does not matter at all whether you have an elite apartment or a standard "Khrushchev". Bloodsuckers do not stop the cleanliness of the room, nor the number of cleanups conducted, nor the high cost of furniture. For parasites, only one factor is important: there must be food regularly (that is, people should live, since bedbugs feed exclusively on blood).
About that, with the help of which methods and means of prevention can reliably protect their home from the appearance of bed bugs in it, we'll go on and talk more ...
On a note
Bedbugs today are very actively distributed in developed countries. In London, for example, every year a larger number of departures for the processing of premises from bugs, than in the previous year. A significant number of old residential apartments and houses in the United States are infected with bedbugs, and in a prosperous, it would seem, Florida, according to experts over the past 10 years, the population of bed bugs has increased almost 10 times. In Zurich, every second apartment ever gave shelter to bugs.
Do you still think that your apartment is so clean that bed bugs do not threaten it?
Ways of penetration of bugs into the room
To effectively protect the premises from bedbugs, first of all, it is necessary to securely block the main ways of penetration of parasites into it.
There are several ways:
- Electrical outlets - this is especially true for panel apartment buildings. The outlet on the wall that separates your apartment from the neighboring one can serve as an excellent way to migrate parasites from one room to another (especially if neighbors are baiting the bugs). To seal the hole behind the socket it is possible to use alabaster, a non-combustible mounting foam or even simply to hammer a piece of glass wool;
- Ventilation shafts. On them bedbugs are also able to move between apartments, especially when they are poisoned or people leave the house for a long time (with prolonged absence of a food source, parasites begin to crawl in search of more suitable conditions for life). Instead of the standard grid, it is recommended to put a very thin mesh on the vent;
- Cracks and cracks in the floor, ceiling and walls. Taurus in bedbugs is so flat that even adults can easily penetrate through narrow cracks and gaps, not to mention the larvae. Therefore, an important preventive measure, especially in old houses, is careful sealing of such defects (plaster, alabaster, mounting foam);
- Windows and doors. The adult bug creeps 2-4 cm per second in order to overcome the distance from the window of one apartment to the window of another on the outside wall of the building it will take less than half an hour. The same with the doors. Only modern plastic windows reliably protect against bugs - thanks to rubber gaskets. The usual wooden frames have cracks, and parasites can penetrate through the keyholes in the door;
- Furniture and even household appliances can become "hotbeds" of bedbugs, if they were brought from an infected room. There are cases when nests of parasites were in the system blocks of computers, laptops and televisions. However, the main thing that should be paid attention in the prevention is just the examination of furniture (sofas, beds, chairs, etc.);
- Clothing, footwear and accessories that have visited the infected premises are one of the most common and underestimated sources of infection of the apartment with bedbugs. Sometimes it is enough to visit the apartment that is infected by the bloodsuckers only once to bring them to your home.
When there is an understanding of how bedbugs get into the apartment, it becomes clear also what preventive measures should be taken in each appropriate case.
"I have a girlfriend, and she also has a girlfriend who has homemade bugs at the hostel. And then one day I saw a couple of red dots in my arms. I thought that it was an allergy. Then the brothers began to appear. The girlfriend said that it was bites of bedbugs, she had already seen this. Nightmare! I woke up somehow at night, switched on the light, and on the sheet the beetles creep, two large and three pieces quite small. I crushed them all with a napkin, so much blood was there, horror. Since then, for the past two months, together with my mother, we are trying to get off the bedbugs, but for the time being somehow it does not work out ... "
The main rules for the prevention of bedbugs
There are a number of universal rules, the observance of which allows in most cases to provide a sufficiently reliable prevention of the appearance of bugs in the apartment.
So, to protect the room from bed bugs you need:
- Eliminate the maximum possible shelter in which bugs can hide. To do this, replace the parquet on the laminate, remove or replace with new plinths, sealed the gap between them and the floor, as well as between the baseboard and the wall. It is advisable to change the wallpaper, if on the old many breaks and detachments from the wall. It is recommended to remove carpets from the walls, replace old, loose-fitting sockets with new ones, closing them with a special plug. In case of threat of infection of the apartment with bugs, the problem can also be presented by books, often literally stored on shelves;
On a note
According to observations of specialists who are engaged in the professional breeding of bedbugs, in almost 80% of the infected premises on the floor there is parquet. Only about two out of ten infected apartments have another floor covering.
- As part of the prevention of infecting the apartment bugs need to carefully check the imported furniture. The same applies to clothes, shoes, household appliances, suitcases and bags. There are cases when the nest of bedbugs was in a seemingly new, bought just in the store furniture;
- If you are visited by a person from a known infected apartment (for example, a relative came to visit), then it is advisable to place his shoes and outer clothing in packages, after which they should be tied up. If you yourself visit the bug-infested room, then on arrival home shoes and outer clothing should be treated with an aerosol insecticide (Raptor, Combat, Dichlophos, etc.), and the rest of the clothes should be washed at a temperature of at least 60 ° C;
- Do not use the soft furniture and mattresses thrown out by someone. Even sitting on them just to try, can be fraught with hitting larvae and eggs of bedbugs on clothes. According to statistics, in every fifth case old couches and armchairs are thrown out precisely because bugs live in them;
- It is useful to know your neighbors in the apartments on the side, above and below, keeping in touch with them. If there are bedbugs in several apartments, it is easier and more effective to solve the problem than to struggle alone, while suspecting that the neighbors have a breeding ground for parasites.
And yet, an important point: bedbugs can easily be brought into an apartment on clothes or shoes from hotels during travel and business trips. Cheap hotels in general are classic incubators of parasites in megacities (especially when owners do not particularly care about carrying out pest control). As a rule, these are hotels of 1-2 stars level, but sometimes quite respectable hotels can "please" the guests with various parasitic animals.
Especially dangerous in this regard are apartments and houses in the resort area, illegally rented out to tourists. If in such a place of rest bed bugs crawl into a bag or suitcase, then there is a big risk to bring them to your own home. Therefore, during the rest you need to carefully check the room when you are settling in, and if you suspect the slightest suspicion of infecting it with bedbugs, you need to replace the number or (better) look for another hotel.
Checking an apartment for bedbugs
If there is an increased threat of bugs in the room (for example, when you have recently got rid of them, when bedbugs are in the neighbors or with your relatives, or when you come from an infested hotel), prevention should be comprehensive and consist of simple, but systematic activities.
At each general cleaning of the apartment (but at least once a week), it will be useful to carefully examine:
- mattresses and internal cavities of sofas and beds;
- Carpets - and on the floor, and on the walls;
- floor under the bed;
- skirting boards.
To search for such checks is both the bedbugs themselves, and their chitinous cover that remain when molting, as well as excrement - tiny black dots, usually found in abundance at the entrance of parasites in the shelter and in general near the nests.
The appearance on the white sheet of small traces of blood can also indicate the presence of a number of bed bugs. And, of course, the presence of bloodsuckers give out traces on the body from their bites, although many of them often write off for mosquito bites or an allergic reaction.
Means for protection against bedbugs
Here, perhaps, it makes sense once again to emphasize the following important thought: before using any preventive remedies against bedbugs, it is necessary to concentrate precisely on blocking the ways of possible penetration of parasites into the room. A simple example: if every month only one parasite permeates the apartment - there is every chance of preventing the apartment from becoming a bug. And quite another thing, when every day in the apartment penetrates 5-10 individuals - in this case, very soon you will not be up to prevention, but require total disinfestation of the entire room.
So, to effectively prevent the penetration of bedbugs into the room, in most cases the same means are used, which are also used to destroy parasites. Here everything is simple - if you locally process the path of possible penetration of parasites into the apartment, then individual specimens will be successfully exposed to the insecticide still "on the outskirts." It is important only to use the long-acting agent.
In general, the means of prevention from bedbugs can be divided into three types:
- folk remedies for repelling bugs;
- modern insecticidal means for the destruction of bedbugs;
- and also traps for bugs (including those produced independently).
Let's look at these prevention tools more ...
We save the apartment with the help of folk remedies
The main problem of folk remedies used to repel bugs is their low efficiency.
The main folk remedies for the prevention of the appearance of bedbugs in the house are infusions, decoctions, as well as fresh and dry beams of such famous herbs as wormwood, tansy and Ledum. Brooms from these plants are usually placed in the ventilation ducts, balconies and window sills in the apartment - here they are designed to scare away those trying to penetrate the bug's room with their smell.
Decoctions of these herbs are sometimes added to the water, which floors are washed in the apartment, and once a week, the inner and outer parts of the boxes of the entrance doors, the ventilation ducts and the window frames on the outside are smeared around the perimeter with a decoction.
In the same way, you can use special aromatic sections from moths with the smell of lavender. It is believed that the bugs also do not like this flavor.
On a note
Previously, in the villages to protect from bedbugs, bunches of fresh wormwood were placed under the bed. For the same purpose used sometimes and tansy. This method allowed a person to sleep peacefully even when bed bugs were already firmly established at home.
However, as practice shows, it is not necessary to rely heavily on folk remedies for bugs, because they do not always give the desired effect.
Use of insecticides for preventive purposes
To prevent the appearance of bedbugs in an apartment, some modern insecticides can be used effectively. It is important in this case that they have a contact action and are not permanently decomposed on the treated surfaces.
For example, for the long-term protection of the room from bedbugs, various powdery substances can be used, which should be scattered in places where parasites can move. For these purposes, for example, the following drugs are used:
- dust from insects Clean House;
- powder Pyrethrum;
If a small population of bedbugs has already been found in the room, then insecticidal powders can be used as shown in the photo below:
In an attempt to reach the sleeping victim, the parasites inevitably get dirty in the insecticide powder and die pretty quickly. Such a non-standard preventive device sometimes allows us to reduce the number of bugs in the premises to a zero within a relatively short period of time (however, in the neglected cases, the measure is ineffective).
For preventive purposes, the use of microencapsulated insecticides, especially those without a strong unpleasant odor, can also be a good option. These include Xulat Micro, Delta Zone, Get, Lambda Zone and some others. Their advantage is that after treatment on surfaces for a long time there are microcapsules of the agent, which easily adhere to the chitinous cover of bugs, if the parasite runs through them.
Using these microencapsulated drugs, it is possible to realize the so-called barrier effect: the treated surface serves as a kind of insurmountable barrier for parasites (a bug that crosses the "barrier" will be doomed to death).
It is interesting
Insecticidal crayons (pencils), the most popular of which is the crayon from insects Mashenka, with proper application can also become a good preventive against bugs in the house. Such pencils do not smell, they can be applied to vertical surfaces (which can not be said about powders) and at the same time are very affordable. And although it is customary to use them mainly against cockroaches, nevertheless, insecticide pencils are also effective against bedbugs, house ants, fleas (more precisely, their larvae), scales and other creeping insects.
Traps for bed bugs
Industrially produced sticky traps for cockroaches with standard application are ineffective as a prophylactic against bugs - the baits used by the bloodsuckers are not attractive at all. However, a sticky trap for bedbugs can be done on their own, adapting for this a trap for cockroaches.
The bottom line is to put all four legs of the bed in the center of the sticky trap. Then, if a bed bug suddenly enters the room (for example, from neighbors), then at the first attempt to regale the blood of a sleeping person, the bloodsucker will get on an adhesive base, from which it can no longer escape.
An example of the use of such a trap, in which any viscous liquid can be used as the adhesive backing, is shown in the photo below:
If your neighbors are actively fighting bugs, sticky traps under the legs of the bed can give an idea of whether your home is securely isolated from the neighboring (from which some individuals of the parasites will necessarily try to escape).
On a note
There is a whole set of tools that will be absolutely useless in protecting the premises from bedbugs. For example, poisonous gels - they work perfectly against ants and cockroaches, but against the bugs do not give any result. Also ineffective are ultrasonic and electromagnetic repeller bugs - as practice shows, their effectiveness is close to zero.
In conclusion, it should be noted that the prevention of the appearance of bedbugs in the room will only be the most effective when it is complex. With the correct implementation of all stages of protection, your apartment will remain free of parasites, even if the rest of the multi-storeyed building will be swarming with bedbugs.