For domestic bedbugs, soft furniture is a favorite habitat. And not because it is dark and warm - for them these criteria for choosing a home are secondary. Yes, and "bed bug" - the name is more popular than scientific and professional. All the bugs that feed on blood and live in a man's dwelling belong to the same species and are called bedding, and already popular rumor gives them the names "sofa", "home" and others
First of all, soft furniture attracts bedbugs because in it insects are closest to the source of food - a sleeping person. Consequently, they need to move less around the room and risk being noticed. Besides, between parts of the sofas, especially old and very refined, there are many dense junctions, which are ideal shelters for insects: the bugs most confidently feel where they come in contact with two surfaces and back and abdomen. In other words, wherever closely, it is most convenient for them.
And of course, in couches and beds bedbugs are the warmest of all, since these items store the heat of a person. Not every insect can afford such a luxury. Removing bedbugs from the sofa is often a serious problem: these parasites are sometimes very resistant to chemistry and unfavorable environmental conditions.
Methods of breeding bedbugs: sofa specificity
Removing bedbugs from the sofa has its own peculiarities in comparison with the removal of insects from the apartment in general.
First of all, you need to make sure that bedbugs live only in the couch, and in other places of the apartment they are not. Usually this happens quite rarely: parasites can even hide in large numbers, rather than in the couch, behind the skirting boards, in the cracks of cabinets, under and behind the carpets, but the owners of the apartment find them only on the bed and under it.
If indeed a careful check of possible places of shelter did not reveal the presence of bedbugs, it makes sense to handle only the sofa.
Methods for removing bedbugs from the sofa are few:
- mechanical destruction, or simple collection of insects by hands. Extremely ineffective, unpleasant and lengthy process. But also the cheapest.
- temperature treatment of the sofa. The best way, since the sofa is mobile. Bugs and their eggs die within a day at a temperature below minus 18 ° C and almost instantly die at a temperature above 50 ° C. Therefore, a sofa can either be taken out for a couple of days on the street in winter, or treated with special tools or services with heat. Effective is scalding the sofa with boiling water, but after that the sofa needs a lot of time to dry.
- sofa treatment by chemical means. There are a lot of such tools on the market, but before processing the sofa from bed bugs , it is necessary to hold special events in the apartment itself. Some remedies can be toxic and dangerous for both humans and pets. Therefore, before using them, it is recommended to plan for a short-term evacuation of all tenants of the premises, and then carry out the treatment of the sofa in accordance with the instruction. The main funds for today are Dichlofos, Carbophos, Executioner, Perfos, Raptor, Reid, Combat.
A variety of folk remedies of the type of strong-smelling herbs or tinctures of the result usually do not give. And such strong ones as turpentine, denatured alcohol or a mixture of them with vinegar can ruin the sofa forever. Of course, they do not apply if bed bugs were found in the new couch.
The most effective way has always been and will be the treatment of the sofa by the special services of pest control, but the same method is the most expensive. And if the bugs other than the sofa did not manage to master other areas of the house, then it would be irrational to call specialists. It is easier to resort to the help of Karbofos or the Executioner.
How bedbugs populate couches
Perhaps you are wondering where the bedbugs come from in the couch. The answer is usually quite simple: insects either come from neighbors, or come on clothes, with bags or any technique from shops or from guests. Having once drunk blood from a person sleeping on the couch in a new room for them, they do not crawl away, but remain in the crevices of the couch in order to repeat the meal in a few days.
One female or two or three larvae in the new couch is enough to have a whole new colony here in a few months - the bugs multiply and grow very fast. It may even give the impression that the bedbugs are wound up in the couch overnight. Especially among those who are not too sensitive to their bites and single attacks did not feel.
Strictly speaking, the colonies as such have no bedbugs, they simply come together and give the impression of an organized group. Here they lay eggs, here they molt, and so even without detection of running insects, it is easy to calculate their presence in the couch according to certain signs.
We are looking for bedbugs and find out if they are
Before finding bedbugs in the couch, the owner of the apartment can almost always notice other signs of living together with these insects:
- Bites. If there are few bedbugs in the couch, their bites can be mistaken for mosquitoes. But when the colony sprouts, profuse lesions in the morning can not be confused with anything: they cover even a well-wrapped body for the night, and among the common set of red dots you can find noticeable "paths" of three to four bites. This is the "handwriting" of the bug, which for one feeding punctures the person several times.
- Excrement. Often they come across under the sofa when cleaning the apartment: small black dots, similar to simple pieces of dirt from the street. If in the bedroom they appear regularly, you should be vigilant.
- Smell. Not too strong, like the smell of almonds or raspberries. Usually it starts to feel good with a large number of bedbugs, and especially sensitive to smells people will feel it quickly.
If the sofa itself is dismantled or raised a mattress, it will immediately become clear whether the bugs are hiding in it. No other insects inhabit sleeping places with such dense colonies. Therefore, when on the underside of the mattress you can see the bustling movement of small cockroach-like creatures of different sizes, you can say for sure that there were bugs in the couch.
A few words about how to look like sofa bugs: outwardly they look like cockroaches, only small and fairly wide. They run fast, but slower than cockroaches, and if you carefully look at them, the absence of wings comes into view. In addition, the coloration of bedbugs is monophonic, while the red cockroaches have specks in the region of the cephalothorax.
Eggs of bedbugs have a length of up to half a millimeter and come across in the same place where adult insects also occur. In general, the settlement of bedbugs is like a small dump: here parasites of different ages are rummaging, from small larvae to adult insects, piles of mantle left after moulting are piled in, and all this is diluted with excrement and eggs. Especially impressionable people such a spectacle under the mattress of their favorite bed can cause a real shock.
Find bugs in the couch - this is only part of the work, and not so difficult to solve, as the task of their expulsion from the couch. And if bedbugs in the apartment are found, you need to take measures as soon as possible to destroy them.