Further you will learn:
- What are generally available today ways to get rid of bugs in the apartment and which of them are really effective, and which - not very much;
- With what it is necessary to begin the fight against domestic bugs and why sometimes the success of this "operation" can depend on the neighbors;
- What is important to know in advance about the work of pest control services so as not to run into scammers;
- What insecticidal drugs will allow yourself to get rid of bedbugs in the apartment, and very reliable and without a persistent unpleasant odor in the rooms;
- In what cases does it make sense to resort to temperature methods for getting rid of bedbugs and what is useful to know about the use of folk remedies that do not lose popularity ...
Bed bugs are extremely unpleasant "neighbors" in the apartment, capable of poisoning a normal life not only for the inhabitants of the countryside, but also for quite respectable citizens. Unlike cockroaches, these bloodsucking parasites are practically indifferent to the sanitary conditions of the premises, equally willingly settling in both barracks and luxury apartments. Therefore, generally speaking, no resident of a city apartment is immune from meeting bed bugs.
At the same time, the appearance of bedbugs in the room is not at all a reason to panic or, even more so, to change an apartment. If you act competently, you can get rid of parasites quickly enough, and not always it will be associated with significant financial costs.
So, if in the morning your body becomes covered with itchy bites, there are traces of blood on the sheet, and when cleaning from under the bed you regularly sweep out insect skins and traces of their vital activity (for example, small black excrement, egg shells), then, most likely, is already running. In this case, it will be naive to believe that it is enough to sprinkle the bed with Dichlophos, and the problem will be solved by itself - no, a more thorough approach will be required.
About how you can get rid of bedbugs in the apartment forever, even in neglected cases, we'll go on and talk in more detail. But first things first…
All ways to get rid of bugs
Before you get rid of house bugs once and for all, first you need to choose the right method of struggle. This is one of the key stages in getting rid of parasites: an incorrectly chosen method will take a lot of energy, time and money, but effectively getting rid of bedbugs will not help.
We note the most popular today and effective (with the correct execution) ways to get rid of bedbugs:
- Calling the desinsection service is perhaps the most effective, fastest, but at the same time, quite expensive way to deal with parasites. It is accessible to inhabitants of big cities and suburbs, allows to carry out not only struggle against bed bugs, but also complex disposal of the big areas from the most different insects.
- Self-use of insecticides. This method is much more accessible than the services of professional services, but it requires some effort and time. With a competent approach gives excellent results and allows you to get rid of domestic bedbugs in a fairly short time;
- The temperature treatment of a room or furniture is considered the safest way for humans and pets to get rid of bedbugs. At the same time, this technique is very effective: bedbugs are sometimes resistant to chemical poisons, but are always very sensitive to low and high temperatures. However, it is sometimes difficult to organize the temperature treatment of the room (we'll talk about this a little later);
- Mechanical destruction - in short, it's fighting bugs with a vacuum cleaner or a sneaker. Very ineffective and not fast way, which is suitable only if there are individual parasites in the apartment;
- Use of folk remedies for getting rid of bed bugs. This method is cheaper than the use of modern synthetic insecticides, but its effectiveness, depending on the set of tools used, is very different from case to case and generally quite small. Practice shows that, in the majority, folk remedies are much inferior in effectiveness to modern insect preparations.
In order to decide how it's best to get rid of bedbugs, you must first assess the current situation. For example, it is useful to adhere to the following plan:
- First of all, you need to communicate with neighbors from the surrounding apartments (both on the side and on the floor above and below) and check if they live in bed bugs. In most cases, bed bugs fall into a new apartment, settling down from the neighboring premises. If at least one such adjacent apartment bugs live, then it is necessary to coordinate efforts with neighbors and get rid of parasites in all infected premises at once. Otherwise, even if they manage to completely destroy bugs in a separate apartment, they can again run across from their neighbors;
- If there are many infected apartments, then it is better to call the disinfestation service - so you can be sure that all the premises will be processed carefully (otherwise there are cases when not very diligent neighbors save when buying insecticides, choosing cheaper or even lazy to conduct treatment. And this is not to mention the cases when, in principle, it is not possible to agree with neighbors for some reason or another);
- If bedbugs are only in your apartment, or the number of infected apartments is small, it makes sense to use special insecticides. In this case, you should not expect to get rid of "little blood": perhaps, bedbugs in the apartment is much larger than it seemed initially. Therefore, treatment should always be done carefully and fully. The choice of the drug should also be approached carefully - it should be highly effective against bed bugs, should be relatively safe for humans and animals and, if possible, do not have a strong smell (there are times when tenants have to throw out furniture that for months retains the odor of the wrong remedy bedbugs). On the choice of the drug, we'll talk more about a little below;
- In rare cases, when bedbugs in an apartment settle only in one couch or in bed, they can quickly and effectively destroy them by temperature methods - hot steam, or, conversely, exposing them to frost. But the full low-temperature treatment of the apartment (freezing) is available only in winter and only in those regions where the temperature drops below minus 22 ° C (at a higher temperature, the bugs and their eggs survive). Thus it is necessary to take measures that getting rid of bedbugs in this way does not lead to damage to engineering water supply systems;
- Various folk remedies for getting rid of domestic bugs are worth using only when processing non-residential premises and when possible to conduct pest control in several stages. As a rule, "folk remedies" have a strong and unpleasant smell, and those that smell tolerable usually do not give a result when used.
A feedback showing the importance of coordinated disposal of bugs in all infected apartments:
"Tired of baiting the bugs , constantly crawling from the neighbors. In one apartment, an insane uncle lives, you make him handle something, we even gave him a free medication, we bought it ourselves. Six months later, tired, they called a normal company, in which the guys processed not only three apartments on the site, but also ventilation and a staircase ... "
Now let's see what important nuances it is useful to consider when choosing one or another method of getting rid of bedbugs - both in the case of the call of the service of pest control and in the self-disposal of parasites, there are a lot of "pitfalls" about which it is necessary to have an idea beforehand ...
Calling for sanitation: nuances and features
As already noted above, the call of specialists in pest control is one of the most effective and quickest ways to get rid of bed bugs in the apartment. At the same time, the employees of the service will decide which product and which equipment will be better used in this particular case.
The photo below shows an example of handling an apartment from bedbugs by a disinfestation service employee:
If the absence of an unpleasant smell in the room is critical for you, then this point is useful to specify in advance, because the high-performance insecticides used by the sanitary services usually have a rather pronounced unpleasant smell (Tetriks, Sinuzan, Xulat S25, etc.). Sometimes this smell persists in the room for several weeks (although you may well be told that, say, after 3 hours of airing the smell will almost not be). In some cases, you can agree on the use of insecticides, almost odorless.
The methods of processing, and in general, the approach to the case, for different services can vary significantly: for example, in one case you can send a student with a conventional garden sprayer, but there are companies sending specially trained pest control equipment, protective equipment and appropriate equipment for example, the so-called cold or hot mist generator).
On a note
The generator of cold (and hot) fog allows you to translate insecticide solution into the finest aerosol, the smallest particles of which are evenly distributed throughout the apartment, penetrating into hard-to-reach places and cracks where bugs can hide. The usual sprayer allows to process only the place where the "torch" of the sprayed substance is directed - the particles are too large to hold in the air and quickly settle.
Below, the photographs show cold and hot fog generators:
Also, major disinfestation services sometimes (rarely) use equipment to heat the room: industrial hair dryers and special air heaters. Getting rid of bed bugs in a regular apartment in this way is not always possible, because the temperature should be raised above 50 ° C, and this can be harmful to individual interior items.
It is interesting
Bed bugs can not tolerate temperatures below minus 18 ° C and above + 48 ° C. Their eggs are slightly more stable, but with prolonged processing they die.
Terms of disinfestation of the room by special services are usually small: getting rid of domestic bugs takes several hours, and some time after the processing of the apartment in it it is desirable not to go. However, there are exceptions, depending on the area and specificity of each object.
In general, the choice of the company to get rid of bed bugs should be approached fairly accurately, especially when you consider that in this market there are a large number of small firms offering services of questionable quality.
"I turned to one of the chatterboxes. On the phone they said one price, and the master came, he asked twice more. I picked it up for some other barrier. As a result, processing a kopeck piece cost me 5000 rubles. And he only worked for about 20 minutes. Well, if all the bugs had died, but no, in three days the same darkness creeps them. And zhivenkie such as if the apartment and not processed. In my indignant call about the guarantee they said that yes, there is a guarantee, but it will be necessary to pay for the re-processing. What kind of guarantee is this, for which you need to pay? Scammers. I wrote them a contact in the contact, deleted them and blocked the entrance to the group. "
Zhana, St. Petersburg
What you should pay attention to:
- in reliable companies, the manager in advance agrees the terms of disinsection, learns about the living in the room of children, pets, elderly people, residents prone to allergies, pregnant and lactating women;
- the procedure for getting rid of bedbugs will not be permanently delayed and postponed over time (a characteristic feature of small offices);
- owners of apartments will be instructed in detail on how to prepare it for processing;
- the provision of services will be made only after the signing of the relevant contract, which should provide a guarantee for the quality of the services provided. That is, if after treatment of the apartment get rid of bedbugs will not succeed, then the re-treatment should be done for free;
- it is also useful to pre-read reviews about the company on the Internet - if the service of pest control works for a long time, hundreds and thousands of grateful customers probably already had time to mention it on different blogs and forums. At the same time, for obvious reasons, it is important not only to study the feedback on the website of the company itself.
"... I really liked how they work. The manager asked in detail how many tenants, if anyone has asthma, whether there is an aquarium in the apartment, specified the number of old sofas. The guys worked for three hours with special balloons and sprayers. The next day we took out bedbugs with kilograms! .. "
The amount of work to prepare an apartment for getting rid of bedbugs depends largely on the method chosen by the service, the composition of the tenants and the size of the premises. In any case, it is necessary to vacate the apartment for several hours, beforehand taking out all the animals and plants from it.
Aquariums should be covered with coverslips, the compressor should be turned off.
The cost of getting rid of bedbugs by specialists begins at about 2000 rubles for a one-room apartment and can increase, depending on the size of the premises, methods of processing and the city in which disinfestations are carried out. Usually companies provide a guarantee that within a certain period - usually up to a year - bugs in the apartment do not appear.
Here are examples of average prices in Moscow for processing an apartment from bedbugs with a cold fog (the so-called ULV irrigation):
- one-room apartment - 2500 rub .;
- one-bedroom apartment - 3000 rubles;
- three-room apartment - 3300 rubles;
- four-room apartment - 3600 rub.
Self-use of chemical insecticides against bedbugs
If you decide to get rid of domestic bedbugs yourself, then instead of obsolete insecticides with an unpleasant odor (Carbophos, Chlorophos, etc.), it makes sense to give preference to modern microencapsulated drugs adapted for household use. Some of these drugs in addition to very high efficiency have a minimum level of odor - for example, Xulat Micro, Get, Delta Zone, Lambda Zone and some others.
On a note
Even with the most effective means of bed bugs, an apartment usually does not manage to get rid of parasites instantly. Adult individuals and larvae can die quickly enough, however new larvae will constantly hatch from surviving eggs, since most insecticides have little effect on bug eggs.
Accordingly, within 3-4 days after the first treatment, you can again feel the bites of parasites. And then it's important not to fall into despair, as it often happens - people start to think that the remedy does not work, that their bedbugs are simply inextricable and it's not clear what to do next. In fact, everything is simple: after the first treatment, the larvae will periodically hatch from the remaining egg to the secluded places for two or three weeks, and it is important to prevent the larvae from growing into an adult capable of laying off new eggs.
Therefore, once every 1-2 weeks, the apartment may need to be re-processed. Only this way it is possible to get rid of bedbugs once and for all in neglected cases. By the way, the service of pest control is well understood, therefore they provide a guarantee, and sometimes even give the facility to the residents themselves for re-processing.
Generally speaking, insecticides suitable for getting rid of bedbugs are produced in different forms - it can be a concentrated liquid suspension for dilution, a powder, an aerosol, or even a chalk - and they all require different approaches to use. Perhaps the least known means of bugs are insecticide smoke bombs, which allow relatively inexpensive and quickly complete the treatment of the apartment from parasites. For example, one permethin smoke bomb Quiet Evening or the City, whose price is within 500-600 rubles, will suffice for processing even the largest apartment, and the efficiency of such processing will be quite comparable with the treatment of the room with a cold fog.
An important point: when fighting bugs yourself, it is necessary to take into account the specific toxicity of most chemicals. Yes, many of them are positioned as quite safe for humans and domestic animals, but believe that even the means of bugs without a smell, if they are inhaled for a long time in the form of an aerosol, they will not add health exactly. And if to talk at all, then there are many cases of poisoning in case of improper handling of insecticides in everyday life.
Therefore, before processing the apartment, it is necessary to remove all tenants and pets from it, clothes should be packed in hermetic bags for further washing (there may also be bedbugs and their eggs), and the work itself should be carried out in rubber gloves and a respirator.
It is very important to carry out the procedure for disposing of a dwelling from bedbugs in a single reception, treating all rooms, kitchen, corridor, etc. at once. Incomplete processing of the apartment may lead to the fact that some of the parasites will survive, and within a few months their number will again recover.
How to destroy bedbugs by temperature treatment?
About how you can get rid of room bugs with the help of freezing rooms are well known in almost every rural Siberian house. However for the townspeople such procedure can be something new.
In the simplest case in winter, the owners of the house go out together with pets and plants for several days, leaving the windows open wide. Bedbugs die at a temperature below minus 22 ° C, so in the northern latitudes this approach is especially effective. With less severe frost, bedbugs and their eggs will have a high chance of surviving.
With such freezing it is important to secure the water supply in the house (and the water heating system, if any). Freezing pipes can lead to their rupture and further flooding of the room.
Also, a very good effect is the freezing of furniture on the street. For example, if the results of checking the apartment revealed that bedbugs inhabited only a sofa, an armchair, or a bed with mattresses, then this furniture can be taken out for several hours (or, better, days) for frost.
"The KGB attacked the bugs. A very good tool, but there were larvae and eggs in the mattress, then after a while they began to pester. We thought about throwing it away, but it was just winter and we carried it to the roof. For four days he fumed (it was -30), we brought him into the house and for a year already we have no bedbugs ... "
However, you can get rid of room bugs in furniture not only with the help of frost, but also with the help of hot steam, and some use boiling water for this purpose.
- if you walk through the steamer on the upholstery of furniture, having processed all its folds, this will allow to destroy not only adult individuals of bedbugs and larvae, but also eggs of parasites. It is important to make sure that the steam does not damage the furniture itself;
- There are cases when people poured boiled water on the nest of bedbugs (including along the skirting boards) and thus got rid of parasites. However, in general, the method is ineffective, since in most cases it is possible to find out not all nests of bloodsuckers;
- if eggs or larvae of bedbugs are found in clothes or bed linen, then you can get rid of them quickly by simply cleaning it all at a temperature of 60 ° C in a washing machine.
There is another good folk way of dry processing clothes from bedbugs: it folds in a closed car and is left for a whole summer day in the sun. Bedbugs die in such conditions for several hours.
A few words about folk remedies for bedbugs
Of the traditional means of getting rid of domestic bugs, kerosene, turpentine, denatured alcohol, acetic essence, dust, camphor, wormwood, and also their mixtures are considered to be the most effective. And there are a lot of different recipes based on these ingredients, but their effectiveness is approximately the same (low).
In most cases, these means are recommended to handle places of clumps of bedbugs, as well as all approaches to the bed, plinth, cracks in the walls and furniture, and in general the place of possible shelter of insects.
The main drawbacks of these substances are a sharp odor that does not disappear from the room for a long time. However, it is this smell that scares off bedbugs . In addition, with direct contact with the insect's chitinous cover, kerosene blocks the ability of the bedbug to breathe (it spreads over the outer covers and flows into the spiracles), and concentrated acetic acid and denatured, to put it simply, "burn" the parasites.
On a note
The use of kerosene, gasoline, turpentine or alcohol is a very outdated method of dealing with bedbugs, especially today, when it is possible to buy much more effective and safe preparations from insects. And in general, watering furniture with kerosene, treating it with skirting boards and walls is not only inefficient, but also very unreasonable and dangerous from the point of view of the possibility of a fire or explosion of vapors that have accumulated in a closed room.
It is also believed that bed bugs do not like the fragrance of freshly cut wormwood and tansy. Usually, these herbal remedies are used in villages, folding bunches of herbs under the bed or lubricating the broths of the bed legs and floors. Such measures give a temporary, short-term result.
In general, folk remedies for bugs in most cases will not help get rid of parasites, especially if the apartment is seriously contaminated. Even as a means of prevention, kerosene, wormwood, turpentine or tansy are much inferior to the same, for example, insecticide chalks (for example - the well-known chalk MASHENKA, which is quite effective not only from cockroaches, but also from bedbugs, but only as a means of prevention, when there is a risk of penetration of individual parasites from neighbors, in more severe cases insecticide chalks effect almost do not give).
There are a lot of cases when the processed by odorous means furniture had to be simply thrown out, so take this moment into account beforehand.
Successes to you in the fight against parasites!