Further you will learn:
- Why to bed bed bugs is much more difficult than, for example, cockroaches or house ants;
- Why, even after applying a highly effective insecticide, after just a week or two you can start biting parasites again;
- What additional methods to combat bugs (in addition to the use of chemicals) can be effectively used in practice to obtain a truly reliable result;
- What drugs from bedbugs today are considered the most effective and safe to use;
- How it is necessary to bug bedbugs, if these bloodsuckers constantly creep from neighbors;
- What is important to consider, if you suddenly decide to call the service of pest control ...
Bed bugs are considered to be one of the hardest-to-breed domestic insects. In many respects this is due to the fact that it is impossible for these parasites to feed any poisoned bait, while this particular method of struggle gives the greatest effect, for example, against cockroaches and domestic ants.
The fact is that bed bugs are obligatory bloodsuckers, and they simply can not eat anything but blood (and in most cases it's fresh human blood). This means that no poisoned gels or, for example, food mixed with boric acid or any modern insecticide, will not give any effect.
Thus, it is advisable to stain bedbugs in an apartment with insecticide drugs of contact action-that is, those that destroy insects through simple physical contact with their external chitinous coverings. The form of release of such preparations can be different: powders (so-called dusts), concentrates in the form of a suspension for dilution with water, aerosol cans, smoke bombs, and also insecticide crayons (pencils).
On a note
Ironically, even today, when there are many relatively inexpensive high-performance insecticides on sale, some still try to brew bedbugs in their apartment with kerosene, gasoline, turpentine and even acetic essence. Unfortunately, these "grandmother's" recipes are not only ineffective in general, but also often pose a potential danger to human health in case of unreasonable use.
Imagine, for example, how the tenants, exhausted by bedbugs, frantically pour gasoline on all the cracks, slip the plinths on them, and soak up the sofa upholstery. And then it's not clear who they are - bugs or themselves (a terrible smell). Well, if you think that in a closed room a mixture of gasoline and air vapors can explode from a small spark, then the price of such a "disinsection" can become too high ...
The complexity of breeding bugs is also associated with the very high resistance of their eggs to the action of most insecticides. Even if it succeeds in helping adults and larvae of bedbugs, there is always the possibility that somewhere in the secluded places of the house some eggs of these parasites will remain, from which the larvae will grow out, grow up and again terrorize the owners of the room.
Therefore, assuming to bed bugs in the apartment, it is important to understand that in most cases this will not be a one-time "victorious" treatment of the premises. As a rule, especially with a significant infestation of an apartment, for a reliable effect, it is required to undergo treatment at least 2-3 times at intervals of 2 weeks (during this time, practically all of their surviving bug eggs will be hatched by young larvae).
On a note
Practice shows that a significant number of fighters with bugs, not having received 100% destruction of bloodsuckers for one treatment, are already inclined to consider the drug ineffective. After all, as it seems - all the apartment was generously treated, and after two weeks the parasites bite again. So, the drug is a dummy ?!
In fact, even if, for a week after the treatment, the bugs virtually ceased to disturb at night, this can often be considered a good result, indicating that adult individuals and parasite larvae are "out of order". In such a situation, it is important not to give chances to hatching larvae to grow to the state of an adult and lay eggs, otherwise the population of bedbugs in the house will again start to increase rapidly.
Meanwhile, it is useful to bear in mind that it is possible to destroy bedbugs not only with insecticides, but with physical methods of exposure, and in certain cases it is the combination of different methods of fighting parasites that allows you to obtain the necessary result with minimal effort and in a short period of time. Therefore, before considering the most effective modern drugs against bedbugs, let's also touch on the methods of physical destruction of bloodsuckers, which can be used in conjunction with insecticide treatment of the apartment.
Physical methods of killing bugs
Perhaps the main drawback of various chemical poisons used to combat bugs is their specific toxicity and for humans too (and also for domestic animals). And no matter how advertised about the safety of a drug, it should always be understood that insecticides, if inhaled or prolonged contact with the skin, will not add health exactly.
At the same time, instead of biting insects with insecticides, sometimes it is advisable to combine this treatment with physical methods of destroying parasites, including:
- And also the destruction of bedbugs by hot steam or just hot air.
Such methods are well suited for the destruction of parasites in children's things, a crib, things of people prone to severe allergic reactions, in the case of living indoors with asthma and in some other situations. That is, in cases where it is desirable to minimize the use of chemicals.
On a note
Most modern insecticide preparations against bedbugs are quickly and without consequences split into the human body to safe compounds, and therefore are not as toxic to humans as to insects. However, if they get on the skin or mucous membranes, they can cause irritation and provoke allergic reactions, sometimes very pronounced.
Particularly severe cases of poisoning occur when the instructions for the use of a particular preparation are not observed, in particular, when disregarding personal protective equipment (respirator, gloves).
The method of freezing bedbugs is particularly suitable when parasites are contaminated with clothing, bedding and furniture - instead of poisoning bloodsuckers with insecticides, it is enough to take it all to the frost: bed bugs, as well as their eggs, die at a temperature below -22 ° C. It is important to keep in mind that cooling the furniture or mattresses "all the time" may take some time, so it is advisable to leave the items in the frost for at least 24 hours.
You can also freeze the entire apartment (or the entire private house), but it is important to protect the pipes of water and heating from freezing.
However, if the yard is not a severe winter, you can "bury" the bugs with heat: the parasites die rather quickly at temperatures above + 50 ° C. Accordingly, the following options are possible:
- Take out the infected things on the glassed balcony on a hot summer day;
- Wash the bug-infested clothes in hot water;
- To process furniture, mattresses, clothes with hot steam with the help of a steam cleaner (steam generator);
- To process things and furniture with hot air from a hair dryer (it should be taken into account that hot air does not pass, for example, deep into a thick mattress);
- With the help of powerful fan heaters, create a temperature of over + 50 ° C for several hours in the room (this is how some companies destroy abroad).
In general, it can be said that both freezing and heat treatment are more suitable for destroying parasites, so to speak, locally - in individual things, contaminated furniture, mattresses, allowing to reliably destroy not only adults and larvae, but eggs of bedbugs. However, for the treatment of major areas in an infected apartment in most cases, it is advisable to use high-performance insecticidal drugs.
At the same time to the choice of the drug, which is planned to bug bedbugs (especially in a residential area), it is necessary to approach competently - let's consider this point in detail ...
Insecticides against bedbugs
What do you think is the most important property of the drug from bedbugs? Its high efficiency? Affordable price? Or, perhaps, the absence of an unpleasant residual odor in the house after treatment?
Practice shows that the main thing in a quality preparation from bedbugs (as, indeed, from other home insects) is its safety for humans and pets. There are many cases where it would seem that the banal treatment of the room with aerosol was tragic for the person who carried out this treatment.
That is why to the issue of safety when choosing a drug (and during the processing of an apartment) it is necessary to approach especially carefully, without chasing with slaughter pesticides for professional use - good, today there are many drugs comparable to them in terms of efficiency, but at the same time adapted for household use, including without the unpleasant odor.
"... For the first time, when he walked, already breath caught, such a smelly poison. Half an hour sprayed into all the cracks, inhaled, then vomited all evening. But the bedbugs have quieted down right away, we've been asleep for a week now. Although the apartment still stinks, all the furniture smelt and clothes. Especially the sofa ... "
Vitaliy, St. Petersburg
As for the effectiveness of the means - so-called microencapsulated preparations have proved to be very effective for self-breeding bugs. Their peculiarity consists in the fact that the active substance is encapsulated in a kind of microcapsules - these fine particles adhere well to the chitinous cover of parasites, in the future the bedbugs manage to reach their nest, where they die, sometimes "infecting" their relatives here.
In particular, among the modern microencapsulated drugs with which you can quite effectively and safely for your health to bug bugs in the apartment are the following:
- Ksulat Micro - combined preparation on the basis of three active substances (cypermethrin, tetramethrin and piperonyl butoxide). Allows you to bug bedbugs without unpleasant odor after treatment, and do not confuse Xulat Micro with a strong smelling drug Xulat C25;
- Get - a one-component microencapsulated drug based on chlorpyrifos. The odor after treatment can be characterized as sufficiently weak;
- Delta Zone is a highly effective microencapsulated preparation based on deltamethrin insecticide. There is practically no odor during processing;
- Lambda Zone - also a very effective drug (based on lambda-cyhalothrin), allowing you to conduct treatment of the apartment without the unpleasant odor.
For comparison, some preparations are based on the obsolete organophosphorus insecticide carbofos (also called malathion), which has a very unpleasant odor. There have been cases when tenants after treatment with strong-scented drugs had to throw expensive furniture out of the apartment, since it had been keeping an unpleasant smell for months.
On a note
There are a number of drugs with which help professional seizure services - Tetrix, Microcin, Biorin, Sinuzan, Chlorpyrimac, Minap 22, etc. - are taking care of bedbugs. They are quite effective, but they have a strong unpleasant smell and are mostly more toxic than those adapted for self-application.
What else is useful to keep in mind regarding the use of insecticides in the fight against bed bugs in the house:
- Aerosol preparations such as Combat, Raptor, Dichlorvos of different brands are useful when there are few bedbugs in the room and the locations of their dislocation are well known;
- In case of severe contamination of the premises, and if necessary, to process large areas with relatively low financial costs, concentrates of microencapsulated preparations from bugs (the same Ksulat Micro, Delta Zone, Get and others like them) will work well;
- The use of dust from bugs saves only with a slight contamination of the room. In addition, powdered insecticides are very inconvenient to apply on vertical surfaces. But you can put in such a powder the legs of the bed - then the bedbugs in search of food can not not get dirty in the poison;
- Insecticide crayons (for example, chalk from cockroaches and bugs Masha) is useful to use as a preventive measure against bedbugs in the room. Often, parasites penetrate from neighbors through ventilation, so treating the walls with shallots around the perimeter of the vent, as well as treating the legs of the bed and other places of possible bloodsucking movements, can destroy individual bugs even before they give rise to a new population in your apartment;
- Insecticide smoke bombs (Silent Evening, City, etc.), used in nature against mosquitoes, also destroy bugs, cockroaches, fleas and house ants in enclosed spaces. It is enough to set fire to such a checker - and literally in an hour the smoke itself will spread throughout the room (however, one must take into account that clothes and furniture after using insecticide smoke cans may retain a specific odor for some time).
How to bug bedbugs with insecticides
In general, the bugs in an apartment can be stained in accordance with the following plan:
- With aerosol preparations (Raptor, Dichlophos, Combat, Clean House or others), treat the found nests of bedbugs;
- The main areas in the apartment are treated with a microencapsulated preparation, diluting the concentrate in accordance with the instructions;
- Clothes and bed linen should be washed at a temperature of at least 60 ° C;
- If you do not want to handle a baby crib and a mattress "chemistry", you can carefully walk through them with a conventional household steamer (steam cleaner);
- The ways of possible penetration of bedbugs from neighbors can be treated with a microencapsulated preparation, and after drying - additionally draw strips here with insecticide chalk.
On a note
Eggs of bedbugs in a heavily contaminated apartment can be in any clothing, so it is important to make sure that all things have been treated properly (washed, treated with hot steam or ironed iron).
And once again it is worth recalling that even after very careful single-treatment of the apartment, individual eggs of parasites often survive - respectively, after a week or two, bites can again be observed. Therefore, after 1-2 weeks, you need to re-process the room. And sometimes you may need a third treatment.
What if the bugs constantly creep from the neighbors
If at least one apartment next to you is heavily infested with bedbugs (and sometimes it happens that all the neighboring apartments are infected immediately - side, bottom and top), then in this case the bugs will constantly penetrate from the neighbors, and the processing of your apartment will give the result only for about 1-2 months. In this situation, you need to either bug bugs with neighbors at the same time, or, in case you can not agree, call the SES and complain.
"We moved to an apartment and made expensive repairs. We thought that we would now live. Two months lived normally, and then from nowhere bugs appeared. This is some kind of horror, the child is 2 years old. They bite mercilessly. I, too, bite, but my husband for some reason does not touch. Than only did not deduce. All have tried - there is no sense. We have neighbors on the site - it's just a guard, an alkash. They also have bedbugs, but they treat them calmly, are used to how to cockroaches - they say there is, so what? I talked with other neighbors, summoned everyone SES, but they do not care ... "
As already mentioned above, as a prophylactic measure, it is possible to treat, for example, insecticide chalks, a wall along the perimeter of the ventilation grill (barrier treatment). However, a more effective option is the installation of a new air grille with a very fine mesh.
We call special services to combat bugs
Companies specializing in the fight against bugs and other synanthropic insects work in virtually any major city (and in Moscow and St. Petersburg there are several dozens of them). And although it is commonly believed that the services of local Sanitary and epidemiological stations are most reliable, nevertheless, many private pest control services also effectively bug bugs.
For example, to wash bedbugs in a one-room apartment will cost about 2000-4000 rubles - depending on the company, the settlement, the method of processing (cold fog, hot mist, manual spraying) and a set of related services.
When choosing a disinfestation service it is useful to pre-read reviews about it on the Internet, making sure that the quality of the services provided is high enough. And then there are cases when wrongly choosing the service of pest control, tenants simply throw money away (as an example - see the review below).
"... These scammers just money out of normal people are knocked out. He came to us their type of master, talked a lot, persuaded us to a more expensive drug, supposedly more powerful, so that we were calmer. And what to do, we agreed. In 15 minutes, he quickly processed everything and dumped us. I did not find a dead bug. Both bite and bite. And they called, he demanded a guarantee. They said that under the warranty processing fee, another 800 rubles, I will have to pay. Anything a guarantee! I told them that if they meet their colleague on the street, then I'll break his jaw ... "
Ramazan, St. Petersburg
In conclusion, I would like to note that although the independent struggle against bed bugs in an apartment may seem difficult and time-consuming, nevertheless, it is completely able to cope with parasites with a competent approach to each. The main thing here is not to drop your hands halfway: let slowly, with varying success, but methodically and steadily destroy parasites, in the end you will definitely reduce the population of bugs to zero, thus restoring comfort and tranquility in your home.
Successes to you in the fight against parasites!
(If you have already bred bedbugs on your own, then do not forget to leave a review at the bottom of this page: what worked, what did not work, how things are now - all this can be of great interest to those who are in the same situation).