Looking at the variety of traps for cockroaches and ants, suffering from the invasion of bed bugs, a resident of a city apartment often tries to find similar hooks for bugs. Usually such searches end with nothing: there are very few such traps from bedbugs, and those that are on sale are much less effective than their counterparts in fighting, for example, with cockroaches.
The reason that the traps for bed bugs are almost not released, is that the very bedbugs themselves are very difficult to attract in such a trap. With cockroaches and ants, such a problem is not even worth it - they are actively running for sweet, salty, to water and any food products. Their vulnerability in this case lies in omnivorousness.
Bedbugs eat only the blood of a person, and no delicacy can attract them into a trap. In addition, their prey - a sleeping person - they do not find one single scent, but a whole combination of aromas that can not be imitated by affordable and simple products.
That is why those traps for bedbugs, which you can buy today for crazy money, are so complex both in use and in manufacture.
But if not for complete destruction, then at least for a partial struggle with bed bugs you can quite successfully use the simplest traps for insects, working without attracting them.
Sticky tape in the fight against bugs?
Special hooks-stickers are widely known and popular in the fight against moths, cockroaches, flies and domestic ants. For each pest, such traps have their own form.
For example, to combat flies, it is an unwinding reel, from which a piece of tape is cut off and suspended from the ceiling.
To combat the same with bedbugs are more suitable Velcro from cockroaches in the form of sheets of dense cardboard with a special long-drying adhesive applied to its surface.
They are convenient for placement under the bedside tables and in places of frequent movement of cockroaches.
Such pitfalls against bedbugs should be used taking into account the specific behavior and habitat of these parasites:
- Sheets with glue are placed inside beds and sofas, on which people sleep. Above them should be placed free space, so that the traps themselves are not attached to the surfaces of furniture. It is desirable that the traps are often checked and placed where the bedbugs fall in the largest quantities.
- Several pitfalls should be placed under the legs of the bed - with a high probability some of the bedbugs in the house hides in other furniture and at night climbs onto the bed on the legs. If bedbugs bite at night, but no one sticks to such traps near the legs, it is most likely that the parasites hide in the same bed as the occupants of the room are sleeping, and for an attack at night they simply move from the mattress to sleeping people. In this case, the main step should be taken ...
- Completely surround all the legs of the bed with bug traps and for several nights - up to two weeks - move to sleep on other beds or sofas. If they do not exist, it should be on the floor. Within a few days bed bugs become hungry and, guided by the smell, will massively try to move from the trapped bed to a new place to sleep people. Since they do not know how to fly and can only go down the legs of the bed, they all will fall on Velcro.
On a note
At normal room temperature, the bugs eat every 4-5 days. This should be remembered when developing a strategy for their destruction.
It is important only to remember that such an operation should be carried out for at least 10-12 days, until young larvae hatch from the old eggs laid in the old mattress and go to the traps in search of food.
The minus of this method of getting rid of bugs is its duration. In addition, if bedbugs in the house live on the bed and in other secluded places, to completely exterminate them, a new place of sleep must be surrounded by a solid ring of traps. This, in general, is inexpensive - you can buy one such trap for bedbugs for about 5 rubles - but it's troublesome, and it will bring certain inconveniences in case a person himself accidentally step on such a stick at night.
On the other hand, the advantages of this method of breeding bugs - cheapness and safety. No poisons, no complicated mechanisms. Only safe means.
A really effective trap for bedbugs: the principle of action
More technologically sophisticated, but also much more advanced trap for bugs offers to buy the American company Nuvenco. The unit produced by it is a large vessel with liquid CO 2 -carbon dioxide gas, connected by a tube with a special umbrella, which is installed on the floor.
The principle of this trap is that the bugs are attracted to it by the usual product of human respiration - carbon dioxide. Scientists believe that it is CO 2 , exhaled by a sleeping person, that is the reference point for bugs coming out to hunt. Accordingly, if under a plastic umbrella constantly evaporates carbon dioxide, it attracts bugs that believe that it is a sleeping person.
This is called the Bed Bug Beacon trap. It has the following characteristics:
- volume of the vessel with carbon dioxide - 0.5 liters
- umbrella diameter - 15 cm
- total weight - about a kilogram.
Trap is installed in places where bedbugs move more often - around beds, in wardrobes, along the edge of carpets.
The downside of Bed Bug Beacon is only the attraction of bedbugs - after getting into the umbrella they just stay in it, not knowing where to crawl further. You need to destroy them yourself. To do this, usually the insects are poured into the toilet bowl.
It is interesting
Today, the inventors are trying to use in the traps of this type of odorous substances, allocated by the bugs themselves to attract individuals of their species. These devices are only just undergoing an experimental stage, but they are already yielding encouraging results: a concentrated bug attractant should be more attractive to insects than the smell of a sleeping person.
A number of traps work on a similar principle. For example, a more cumbersome trap for bedbugs NightWatch Bed Bug Trap and Monitor, which in addition also allows using a night vision device to notice simply moving parasites near it.
Buy a trap for bedbugs of similar design today is quite difficult. Domestic manufacturers do not produce them, the Chinese have not yet established cheap analogs, and the original device from the US costs about $ 50 - for Bed Bug Beacon and $ 350 - for NightWatch Bed Bug Trap and Monitor. The cost of delivery depends on the operating conditions of the online store and may exceed the price of the trap itself.
Industrial specialized traps from bedbugs
Some Sanitary and Epidemiological stations have in their arsenal of traps for bedbugs, the principle of which consists in the arrangement of special houses, in which the bugs are trying to hide, as in shelters.
Inside these houses there are plates with insecticides of contact action, sitting in which the parasites are poisoned.
The effectiveness of such traps is extremely low. Bedbugs are very conservative in the choice of shelters, and just so massively trapped will not crawl. In addition, the likelihood that even a small part of the parasites will simply find such a trap is also rather low. Not surprisingly, to combat bugs, disinsectors prefer to use a more dangerous but reliable method - treatment of the premises with insecticides.
Homemade traps for detecting bedbugs in the home
Such traps are meant not so much to combat bugs, as to detect them and reveal the places of their shelters. They are manufactured according to two main schemes:
- Take two cardboard glasses from McDonald's or from Mivina, one smaller, the other larger. In a large glass is poured on the very bottom of the powdered sugar and dripping vegetable oil. Once in such a mixture, the bug loses the opportunity to get out of the glass. A small glass is placed in the big one, and the leg of the bed on which people sleep is put in a small glass. A similar design is prepared for all legs of the bed.
- Take a plastic plate, it is poured talcum powder, and its edges are spread with graphite grease. One such plate is placed under the foot of the bed.
Detection and detection of bugs occurs in the same way as when using Velcro. In general, to use Velcro traps is much easier, and playing with glasses and saucers makes sense when there are no such sticky traps on the market.
In general, such devices have the right to life and can help in the fight against bedbugs. But if an apartment owner wants to get rid of bedbugs quickly and without much trouble, it is easier and more effective for him to call a brigade of pest controlers or use an effective insecticide on his own.