Everyone who has ever woken up in the morning with a chain of red blisters from the bites of night parasites could not help but wonder where the bugs come from. It seems that the apartment is clean and well-groomed, and is in the center of the city, and there are no animals in it, and biting and non-sleeping insects all the same appeared and do not plan to disappear. Here it is necessary to figure out where the bed bugs come from and what are the most common misconceptions about infecting their apartments with the population.
All the ways of the appearance of bedbugs in the house
The main and leading source of infection of the room with bugs are the neighboring rooms. This is especially true for apartments in old, Soviet high-rise buildings and apartment buildings being built in rural areas. There are not even questions about what bugs come about: everyone knows that they come from neighbors.
Bedbugs themselves are not very mobile and not very fast insects. They can not fly, they run much slower than cockroaches, but they can long enough to do without food, and therefore are able to travel long distances.
In suburban areas, bugs smell of human habitation by smell, and move to it from hen-houses and rabbits, where small domestic animals parasitize on the skin. However, parasitism in other mammals and birds for bedbugs is more likely an exception, and more often they move to a new place from another house or apartment, where they were fed by the blood of other people.
In apartment buildings, bugs spread very quickly. They freely move through the ventilation holes, the sampled channels for electrical wiring and simply slits in the entrance doors. Due to their very flat body, they are able to creep even where no crevices or holes seem to be visible.
Often bugs fall into a new room from afar, brought here by the owners of the house or apartment, or their guests. For example:
- With suitcases, backpacks and things brought from the trip. Especially - from travel to warm countries. Tropical Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia and India - a real paradise for thermophilic bed bugs . In this case, the owners themselves must remember where the bugs come from in the apartment : the place of their last trip before the appearance of bedbugs, most likely, was the historical homeland of blood-sucking parasites. At the same time, it is enough to bring into the house only one adult female, which will lay eggs here and give birth to a new population. A bug can hide or accidentally get into folds on things, in a suitcase, bags, shoes, and, after moving through several time zones, will find itself in new favorable conditions. Particularly relevant is the way to carry bedbugs for backpackers, who often change hotels. It is enough for one parasite from some "klopovnik" to get lost in the folds of a backpack, and with a high probability in a couple of weeks it will move to a typical Russian apartment and begin colonization of new territories.
- With bought furniture. This is one of the most common ways of infecting bedbugs with new apartments and houses. Especially if the furniture is not bought new. In furniture factories or in shops, bugs have nothing to eat, and therefore new products are almost certainly free of them. But the furniture from the infected houses and apartments is the main breeding ground for bedbugs. For biological reasons, these insects prefer to settle just in beds and sofas, on which their future victims sleep, and therefore such a sofa, even vacuumed, can bring a lot of torment to new owners after the purchase.
- On clothes. Although bedbugs prefer to bite open areas of the skin, very often they hide in the clothes they take off before bedtime or simply do not have time to escape if a person gets up early and quickly gets dressed. Thus, bedbugs can be brought to their home, having visited a house they have infected, or taking guests from such a house. Here can play a cruel joke case: there are cases of finding bedbugs in expensive clothing stores on unsinked samples. Bedbugs on them fall either from a person living in a "bug" or from a neighbor's room.
- With the technique. Bedbugs prefer to sit out the bright time of day in warm places. Therefore, laptops, tablets, scanners, microwaves and any other equipment are very attractive for them. Especially often they find tiny larvae, for which even the openings of the speakers are open.
- On animals. This is an extremely rare way to carry bedbugs, but it has a place to be. Bed bugs are not parasitic on cats and dogs because of thick wool in the last and dense skin. However, bats and birds can be their carriers, and for any reason, such a carrier that has appeared in the house can leave a parasite here.
But often bugs in the apartment do not move and are not carried over. In many cases, they live here for decades, not immediately giving out their presence.
Bedbugs as hosts in the house
Once appearing in a dwelling, bedbugs populate in it such places, from which they are even more likely to be expelled even by professional pest control teams. Therefore, it is not uncommon for situations when the apartment or house is treated with special chemicals in the fall, but the specimens left by chance on summer days on balconies and cold loggias fall into hibernation and survive the baiting of their relatives in warm rooms. New owners, entering the apartment, check its cleanliness, listen to stories about all cleaning activities and the first six months live in comfort. And in the spring, as the temperature of the air rises, slumbering bedbugs wake up and confidently relieve the residents of a quiet sleep.
Often bedbugs in an apartment run into pseudo-anabiosis in the absence of food. This is typical for housing, in which more than a few months no one lives. This room can be perfectly clean at first glance, but behind the skirting boards, in the cracks of cabinets and sofas, insects and their larvae sleep in it, ready to come to themselves on the first night, feeling the smell of the human body.
In addition, if bedbugs in the house or apartment have already lived, then the operations of their persecution with a certain probability will be ineffective. Even if only because they are likely to spread to neighboring apartments and will quickly return here after chemical treatment. Therefore, housing, which has already been conducted baiting bugs , may well turn into a bug in the future.
Bedbugs-conquerors, or as bedbugs penetrate the house from neighbors
But still the most common way to get bugs into the house is to migrate them from neighboring rooms. Here it is impossible to say what the bugs are planted from: they simply spread, attracted by the presence of a person. It is impossible to isolate an apartment from them: bedbugs penetrate through sockets, through external walls through windows, through ventilation, through doors.
What is important is that the bugs are moved to new premises alone, and therefore, with regular wet cleanings and a small amount of furniture, it is not difficult to notice such pioneers. In addition, bedbugs are slow-moving: an adult insect for a minute overcomes the strength of a meter distance, and so just come at night on a visit they can not. And the first settlers are easy to destroy when they wander around the apartment.
Very often bedbugs flock from neighbors conducting disinsection, reminding them of cockroaches. If pest control is professional and effective, then outside the neighbor's apartment they will not be able to get out. But if everything is done in the old-fashioned way, with dichlorvos and tansy brooms, then with a high probability a hungry crowd of refugees literally in a few days will move to a clean apartment before.
Where in the house bugs appear first and how to prevent their appearance
It is important to remember that the sanitary condition of housing does not in any way affect the attractiveness of it for bedbugs. Parasites equally willingly populate both fouled barracks, and elite apartments. Only in the latter because of the smaller amount of furniture and its better condition, there are significantly fewer places for their normal stay, and even the first settlers perish under the sneakers and brooms without having time to reproduce. And figuring out what the bugs in the house appear about, the cleanliness of the room should be remembered last.
The main gate of a house or apartment for bedbugs are ventilation ducts, sockets and water and heating pipes, entrance doors and windows. And the most frequent sources of new insects are clothes, bought furniture, second-hand, tourist backpacks and bags. After entering the rooms, insects hide in those rooms where people sleep, under beds, in wardrobes, under carpets, behind skirting boards, in crevices of furniture and mattresses.
In order to block all ways of penetrating bedbugs into an apartment with a certain degree of reliability, you should:
- purchase a dryer for things, and after visiting suspicious rooms or hotels to process things in it at a temperature of more than 50 ° C. Bedbugs die already at 48 ° C, and such treatment will destroy them guaranteed.
- After a long journey with overnight stays in the "bug", you can pack things in hermetically sealed vacuum bags and treat them as dry cleaners. This must be done with backpacks.
- In summer, you should use a mosquito net on the windows. It protects adult bugs well, and small larvae that can penetrate cells are less mobile and less likely to move along the outer walls.
- Carry out additional insulation of the sockets by covering the glass inserted into the hole in the concrete with silicone.
- In the ventilation holes, you can arrange a bunch of wormwood, tansy or lavender and change them every two to three weeks. You can regularly treat these holes with vinegar or mothball, but this may not like the rest of the tenants at home. Such means and frighten bugs with a sharp smell, and mask the smell of people living in the room.
But if the apartment bugs appeared in large numbers, they need to start fighting with completely different methods. Namely - to entrust business to professionals.