Bed bugs are parasites that spread between rooms at a sufficiently high rate. They can creep from an apartment to an apartment, can be carried by birds and rodents. However, in most cases, the reason for infecting an apartment with bugs is the person. He later also has to fight against parasites for a calm sleep and normal living conditions in the house.
Where does the bed bugs come from?
Know where and why there are bedbugs in the house is necessary to prevent their penetration into the premises. Sources of falling bugs in the apartment a lot. But most often they appear as follows:
- From the neighbors. Often the reason that there were bedbugs in the house, become residents of neighboring apartments. From them, insects can creep along the outer wall of the house, through the cracks of leaky floors or through ventilation.
- From farm animals. If near the private house there is a poultry house or a barnyard, the bedbugs can get over to the people. For them, human blood is much more attractive than the blood of chickens or goats. And in cattle, they can not parasitize at all - too thick skin for cows and sheep.
- Furnished. Bedbugs like to settle in a variety of holes, at the joints and back of the furniture. There they are not visible and can calmly create a new population. Therefore, when buying new and especially used furniture it is very important to carefully check it for the presence of parasites. It is worth doing and when settling in a furnished apartment.
In the photo you can see a typical nest of bedbugs in the couch:
"Recently I had a business trip to St. Petersburg for two weeks. Decided not to stop at the hotel, and rent an apartment - and cheaper and more convenient. The rooms were clean, the furniture is new, all possible equipment is. Who would have thought that I would wake up every morning with painful bites of unknown origin. When I climbed the Internet, it turned out that these bugs bite me. Was just a shock. I thought it was possible only in some hostels, not in clean apartments. I do not even know where the bugs come from in the house ... "
Let's continue the enumeration of the ways in which bedbugs can get into the house
- With household appliances. Sometimes it's literally impossible to understand where the bugs come from. The thing is that these parasites are very small and can settle even in hollow holes of household appliances. Here they are attracted by coolers and warm engines. If a new equipment was purchased or the old equipment was repaired, it is quite possible that she was already infected in the house.
- In public. Bedbugs at home can appear with a person. They easily hide in the folds of clothing or become entangled in the lining of the bag. It happens that bedbugs are brought by gastrobeaters or masters who repair or install windows, doors, connect a washing machine. And sometimes the owner of the apartment himself comes from a vacation or business trip together with new "guests".
Regardless of how the bedbugs penetrated into the house, in a new room for themselves they quickly mastered and began to lead a habitual way of life for them.
Habitat and lifestyle of bedbugs in the house
Bugs do not need special living conditions or the presence of food leftovers in the house. They feed on only human blood, so they prefer to settle near the beds. In this case, insects should choose a corner where it will be possible to lay eggs without hindrance. Often happens so that the optimal place for a bug's life is the bed itself (its back, cracks, space under the mattress), a sofa or bedside tables.
While the population of insects is very small, they sometimes even have enough seams of a mattress or folds of a blanket. But when active reproduction begins and new individuals grow up, parasites have to look for a more spacious shelter in the house.
Then they settle in the furniture, under the windowsills, in the bookcases. If the apartment is heavily infested with bugs, they can be found literally in any secluded place.
"We went out with my wife from the apartment for three months, while we were repaired" turnkey ". When they came back, they also found hordes of bugs with beautiful repairs and new windows. And the parasites were not only around the bed, but even in the kitchen! "
Wherever there are bedbugs in the house , you can always find quite a lot of debris - excrement, chitinous shells, eggs - and the bugs themselves. It's enough just to check all the secluded places in the immediate vicinity of the bed.
Bug breeding takes place almost non-stop, especially if the ambient temperature and the constant source of food contribute to this.
The female mates only once in her life and uses male sex cells as needed. She lays an average of 5 eggs a day. In her entire life she can reproduce up to 500 similar parasites.
Find eggs of bedbugs in the apartment is very difficult. The female leaves them only where she herself is in the daytime.
"They could not understand how to find a nest of bedbugs with eggs. Adult individuals were killed when they woke up at night and turned on the light. And only six months later it turned out that they multiplied behind the back of the sofa. "
The only food for bugs is human blood. They attack only a sleeping person who does not pose a danger to them.
The bug is taken to an open area of the body, finds a blood vessel and pierces it. As the blood is sucked in, he injects into the wound a special enzyme, which temporarily pains the place of injury. By the way, larvae of bedbugs of such an enzyme do not yet have, so the pain from their bite can be felt right away.
Biting once, the bug crawls on and continues the meal. One individual leaves up to 7 bites on the body, which are located in the form of a characteristic path.
Checking the room for bedbugs
What if the bugs are at home? First of all, you should make sure that it is bed bugs, not other insects. There are several ways to verify this:
- It is necessary to make an alarm for the time from 3 to 5 in the morning, and when it sounds, sharply turn on the light in the room. At this time, the bugs are most active, and if they really live in an apartment, they will certainly find themselves on the bed.
- To lay a white sheet for the night and examine it carefully in the morning. If bedbugs bite at night, there will be small specks of blood on it and, probably, also feces that look just like black dots.
- Spend the whole day outside the house (better in nature), and then sniff - did the smell in the apartment change? Bedbugs give the room a distinctive smell of cognac.
"When they did not even suspect that we had bugs in our house, we clearly noticed a change in smell. It smelled of some kind of old, mothball. Mom said that the bedbugs smell so, but we did not believe until they themselves began to notice. "
Inna, St. Petersburg
Methods for getting rid of bugs
Get rid of bedbugs in the house in many ways, but they all have different efficiencies:
- Purchased insecticides for home use. The industry offers a variety of drugs, produced in various forms. Convenient for the application of chalice Mashenka, in a country house or in a country house, Karbofos will help you very well, the means of executioner and Klopomor are very strong . They effectively destroy domestic bedbugs , but can be dangerous to humans and pets directly at the time of processing the apartment. Choosing what to poison bedbugs in the house, it is very important to carefully read the instructions, and in the process of working with the poison - use personal protective equipment.
- The call of the brigade of pest control. This method is effective almost always. Its disadvantages - the relative high cost and the need for a few days to leave the apartment.
- Mechanical method. The simple destruction of bedbugs in the house with improvised means can only slightly reduce their numbers. But until the nest of parasites is found, getting rid of them completely will not work.
- Freezing. It is effective only when the temperature in the house drops to minus 25 ° C or lower. It is important to consider that if the performance of this method is incorrect, the heating batteries may burst.
- Folk remedies. Klopov scare off some smells - for example, wormwood, turpentine or tansy. However, such remedies do not destroy parasites, but only reduce their activity. The only plus of these funds is availability and low price.
So, if there are bugs in the house, do not panic and try to use all means at once. An ideal way to get rid of bedbugs does not exist, so it is important to think about what will be most appropriate in your case.
If there is an opportunity for a few days to take the whole family and pets from the apartment, you can ask for help to the pest control or treat the room with a powerful poison yourself.
If it is possible to cool the room to very low temperatures without the danger of damaging the plumbing, the destruction of bedbugs in the house can be carried out by freezing. And only to prevent the penetration of bedbugs from neighbors should resort to folk remedies (they are the least effective).
It is important to remember that even before the destruction of bedbugs, you should find out if they are worried about someone from their neighbors. If parasites exist in neighboring apartments, disinsection should be carried out together and simultaneously.