At different times of the year and in different regions of the country in an apartment, and even more so - in a private house - you can often meet representatives of different kinds of ants. Very often ants in the apartment are casual guests, brought on clothes or with things. Among them there are insects of different sizes and colors.
However, the real pest in the apartment is only the so-called pharaoh ant - an independent species of thermophilic small ants that in our latitudes, apart from residential heated rooms, can not anywhere dwell. These red ants in the apartment are a real problem: they are numerous, spoil the food, can carry the pathogens of various diseases, and besides - with great difficulty are deduced.
From most of their relatives, typical apartment ants are small in size - about 2 mm in length, light brown or reddish in body color and low movement speed. In addition, small ants in the apartment are usually very numerous and come across the eyes of whole detachments moving along special trails.
Large red ants in the apartment are casual guests, they usually meet singly and run so fast that it is very difficult to catch them.
On a note
The most reliable sign of the pharaoh ant is its activity in the winter. Already at zero temperature on the street, all the domestic ants go to the anthills for the winter. And if an ant is greeted in the room this season, it's definitely a pest.
In the photo - apartment ants in the nest. A large ant in the center is the uterus:
In one colony of domestic ants, several dozen of queens and up to 350,000 workers can live.
The reasons for the fact that the red ants appear in the apartment, although not numerous, but can be found in almost any home. That is why small red ants successfully conquer more and more areas and are more likely to appear in any apartment, even the most clean.
On a note
White or transparent ants in the apartment are not found. Among adult ants in general there are no insects with such coloring. White ants in the apartment can be found only in the anthill - the newly born ant has just emerged from the cocoon has a soft light shell for the first few hours of life. But in Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan there are termites that really have a white color of the body. So those people who talk about white ants in their home, usually in fact deal with termites.
How do ants get into an apartment?
Considering the reasons for the appearance of ants in the apartment, one should separately talk about wild ants - the inhabitants of gardens, fields and forests - and domestic pharaoh ants.
Forest red ants, large black field reaper ants or slender garden black ants appear in the apartment accidentally and for several reasons:
- They are accidentally recorded on clothing or equipment from the street. In this case, you can not say that the ants appeared in the apartment: meetings with such aliens are rare, and they will not be able to survive indoors for a long time.
- Ants can wander into the apartment from the street in search of food. In this case, the insects also do not occupy the premises: their nest remains on the street, and only the foraging individuals who seek food are getting into the apartment.
In the first case, in general, you can not take any measures, but the found ant or several are simply thrown out of the window. The second situation is more complicated: if street ants in the apartment are found regularly, you need to do everything necessary to eliminate the places of their entry into the premises. For example:
- To trace, through what cracks insects fall into an apartment, and to prick them
- to process special means of a box of doors and windows
- Check floors on balconies, ventilation shafts and entry and exit points of pipes into the apartment - it is possible that ants penetrate the room from neighbors. Found "gates" are treated with insecticides or putty putty.
"We never get ants in an apartment. But the husband as comes back from an apiary once a week, so from his bag and clothes constantly creep out several pieces. And sometimes, earwigs with claws and fragrant green bugs. The whole zoo is shorter. I just throw them out the window. "
Another thing, if the apartment appeared small ants that sometimes come across the eyes with whole columns. Here it is no longer necessary to wonder why they suddenly decided to occupy an apartment: a person's dwelling is the only suitable habitat for them, here they look for food and multiply.
It is much more sensible to find out where the ants in the apartment come from: perhaps they will have to cooperate with their neighbors in order to fight them, and after the withdrawal they will cut off the paths of repeated penetration into the premises.
So where do the ants come from? There can be several options:
- from neighboring apartments
- from ceremonial, garbage chutes and dryers
- from the cellars
- from house attached to the house
- from a remote room on a person's clothes or with various household items - in this case, the start of a new colony can only be given by an occasional "traveler-womb", and therefore this way is the rarest.
The spread of ants is the guarantee of the survival of their colonies. And the Pharaoh's ant has a single colony with nests connected to each other and can be located on several floors of the house in dozens of apartments.
In the photo - red ants on the so-called "forage" trail. On these tracks, working ants carry food into the nest:
"The first time ants noticed somewhere about six months ago. A few pieces in the bathroom. I was not particularly worried, because I had never had them at home before. Ants were in the apartment about a month later: at first they were dozens, and then they ran around the kitchen, along the skirting boards, along the balcony, even in the bedroom, they met them. I did not know before where the ants in the apartment might come from. I began to understand, it turned out that neighbors have the same trouble. And this is in the house that was laid out a year ago! We found out that all the ants came from the supermarket at the house. Moreover, the administration of the supermarket two months ago etched them, and our children have already divorced their descendants. "
What attracts ants to the room?
All that ants need in an apartment is food and warmth.
As people from tropical Asia and North Africa, brown, red or yellow ants in the apartment are very thermophilic: they can not live and multiply at temperatures below 15 ° C. That is why this species does not occur in nature in our country. And in an apartment ants are planted, only moving from another room or being accidentally brought on clothes.
"I can not guess where the ants in the apartment come from. We have a fine grid for ventilation, reliable doors, PVC windows. There is not a single slot anywhere. Followed them, they all run for the plinth. But we also put plinths after repair, under them there were no crevices ... "
Anna, St. Petersburg
In addition, small red ants in the apartment are planted when scouts from nearby nests regularly bring food out of the room. This is for insects already a signal that the apartment will be an excellent place for a new colony.
On a note
There are cases when in an entirely infected ants house one or two apartments were completely clean from them. As it turned out, in these rooms the ideal cleanliness was constantly maintained, and the ants simply could not find food.
An additional factor that will make the apartment even more attractive for the colonialists is the availability of a sufficient number of places for nesting - holes, cracks, debris of old things. However, without this, small yellow ants in the apartment can quite successfully occupy the premises.
The photo below shows the domestic ants in their nest:
Are the ants in the apartment dangerous?
Direct danger of small ants in the apartment of a person does not carry: they do not bite and do not cause allergies. Even enough malicious forest ants, accidentally trapped in the premises, are unlikely to cause serious trouble. But they can be sensitive enough.
Nevertheless, some red ants in the apartment can cause certain harm:
- they spoil the products and transfer dirt to them from other premises. Especially dangerous if the same individuals move between garbage and kitchens.
- Small red ants in the apartment can be carriers of pathogens of dangerous diseases. For example, eggs of worms were found on the legs of ants, and the transport of ants and plague causative agent is theoretically possible.
- Ants constantly take out garbage from their nest on special "dumps", hidden behind skirting boards, carpets, plaster - in general, in inaccessible places. There the remains of dead ants, uneaten food, excrement accumulate there. Such dumps are an ideal place for the development of mold fungi and flea larvae. As a result, red ants help to live other pests.
In general, small ants in the apartment - a sign and one of the factors of unsanitary conditions. Only this they are dangerous and can contribute to worsening of the hygienic state of the home. Therefore, at the very first meetings with them, it is necessary to start a serious and systematic struggle.
Ants are one of the most difficult pests due to the central location and a large number of nests, high fertility and the ability to eat a huge variety of foods.
Nevertheless, it is possible to fight apartment ants. The most well-known ways of removing them are:
- the call of specialized brigades of pest control. The way is expensive, but simple: the specialists will come by themselves, process the whole room and explain how and when after that it is necessary to clean.
- The use of insecticidal aerosols - in fact, the performance of the specialized service with their own hands. Red ants perish from Raptor, Combat, Off, Raid, from any aerosols against bedbugs.
- The use of insecticidal dusts, gels and pencils - although these tools do not give instant effect, but can be used for long and systematic harassment of ants in the room.
- Use borax and boric acid to fight the ants. This is the most famous folk way, consisting in the preparation of poisoned baits.
It is important to remember that fighting ants in only one apartment is deliberately doomed to a temporary effect: even if you destroy all nests in your room, in time, ants will infiltrate the apartment from neighboring apartments. Reliable results are obtained only by the cooperation of the efforts of the tenants at home.
To prevent ants from appearing in the apartment again, it is necessary to observe preventive measures of protection against them: keep the room clean and do not leave open food on the tables, periodically process door and window boxes with insecticide pencils, destroy individual scout ants, and regularly conduct wet cleanings. With such prevention, the probability of penetration of pests into the apartment (including cockroaches) will be minimal.