Traps for ants, depending on the design and principle of operation, can be both sufficiently effective and completely useless. At the same time, almost nothing depends on their price and modernity - their effectiveness is determined primarily by the principle of work.
And in this respect, a self-made trap from a plastic cover can be more effective than an imported product for several hundred rubles.
The principle of the traps
All traps from the ants in the apartment are aimed at destroying insects penetrating them. All these tools can be divided into several types:
- Traps in which an insect is attracted by a smell and, after reaching the bait, is smeared in a poisoned powder or liquid. In the future, the ant returns to the nest, where it spreads the poison or is poisoned by itself, trying to purify itself. As a result, he does not die immediately, but after some time, ideally - after penetrating into the nest. There, the poison will destroy other individuals, including the uterus. Such traps for domestic ants are most effective, and they can also be manufactured independently.
- Lures with poison, called traps just because they are in special plastic packages to protect pets. Ants are willingly brought to the colony to feed the uterus. These devices are also very effective.
- Traps in which insects die - with Velcro, with an electric discharge or too strong poison. Despite the obvious effect, these traps are the least effective against ants , since the destruction of foraging workers will have virtually no impact on the life of the colony.
The goal of fighting the ants is to destroy the uterus (or queens) in the colony. Without it, the working ants will die out very quickly. If the uterus remains alive, the forage will permanently be selected foraging to search for food.
Accordingly, the goal of any effective trap is to force the worker ant to carry poison into the nest.
On a note
The main charm of the action of such traps of delayed action is that they do not need to know where it is to destroy an anthill with them. This is well known to worker ants, and the task boils down to getting them trapped.
Therefore, before buying traps for ants, you need to understand how the purchased product works. If it's just an adhesive tape in the package or a house with an insecticide that will kill the insect in place, it's best to refrain from buying.
On a note
All insecticides used in modern traps are of little danger to humans and domestic animals. Only when eating large amounts of them - more than a teaspoon at a time - allergic reactions and vomiting are possible. But in the traps, usually even the entire package of this amount of poison is not contained.
In any case, the traps do not give an immediate effect , and even with the most correct use of their ants will disappear from the apartment at best in a few weeks.
In order to get the results from traps, you need to be able to apply them correctly.
Rules for the use of traps
The trap for ants is something like an expensive restaurant in Moscow: the main three rules of its effectiveness are the place, the place and once again its location.
Indeed, the trap, located where the ants are running more often, alone can help to destroy all the ants in the room. But even a few dozen of the funds, arranged as horrible, but if they did not get in the way, would be a waste of money.
The best places to install traps in an apartment are the following:
- ant pathways - they are clearly visible with an abundance of insects in the room. Ants usually move along the scent-marked routes, and on the trails they line up into whole lines. The trap must be placed either directly on the path, or as close to it as possible, so that the insects smell the bait.
- The joints of the floor and walls, the baseboard and the edge of the linoleum - usually here are the microscopic holes, which are the gateway to the walled world of pests.
- Spaces behind kitchen furniture, rarely cleaned and easily dusted.
- Floors in pantry and insulated loggias.
- Walls bordering the front or garbage chute.
- Ventilation shafts.
Of course, each dwelling is unique, and the location of the movement of ants, as well as the location of their nests, can be absolutely unpredictable. There are cases of the settlement of insects in the system blocks of computers and the pockets of jackets in the cabinets.
Here, the better the hostess knows her apartment and the more observant she is, the more opportunities she has to correctly place the means of exterminating insects.
Traps for ants are practically useless for use in the garden or in the garden. Even if you manage to destroy with their help an anthill, a total extermination of a large number of them (taking into account the fact that ants live in the open ground, never leaving the surface) is impossible.
All traps need to be checked with a certain regularity. Preferably - at least once every two weeks. Of some, insects can completely take out all the poison, in others the active substance dries up, in the third the number of dead ants becomes so great that they cover the insecticide itself.
If it becomes obvious during the check that the trap no longer works, it should be replaced.
Traps for ants can be bought, and you can do it yourself. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and both with a competent approach will be effective. Today, there is a whole list of the most popular traps specifically designed to combat ants, accessible and reliable.
Combat Superattack Traps
Trap Combat of ants is a tool of Korean manufacture, according to the manufacturer, it will help clear the house of ants for three months. When tested in real conditions, the ants disappear within 4-5 weeks.
An important advantage of the Combat Superattack for ants is safety for animals and children: Hydromethylnone as an active substance is unattainable neither by fingers nor tongue.
Buy traps for ants Combat can be one by one or by the gross of 4 pieces per pack. In the first case, the price will be approximately 150 for one piece, in the second case - about 450 rubles for four traps.
"I poisoned the ants in the house about three months ago. Pencils with all sorts of boric acid. Really less of them became only after the purchase of traps for ants Combat. Within a week they began to come across much less often, and a month later met only one in the bathroom. It turned out faster even than the manufacturer promised. "
Traps from Raptor cockroaches are quite effective against ants, they are often sold complete with aerosol insecticides and gels of the same manufacturer. Very effective, because in the best traditions of traps are focused on the spread of poison by the ants themselves in an anthill.
"I bought somehow a set of Raptor. It had two traps and a spray can. The spray did not even come in handy: I set up traps near the cracks in the dressing room, from which the ants climbed, and a week later they disappeared. "
Raid - the most inefficient traps from ants, although they are the easiest to buy. They are designed to combat cockroaches and are focused on the destruction of an insect that has eaten bait.
Ants are very difficult to wear pieces of such a bait in an anthill, and the life of the nest of Raid traps is practically not affected. Of other domestic insects, such traps are effective only against cockroaches.
Traps with their own hands: from what and how they are made
A very effective analogue of import traps can be done with our own hands from available means. The basis in them is borax or boric acid.
- Boric acid is mixed with other ingredients to produce bait. In a separate article on our website the recipes for such mixtures are given (see the section "Ants in the apartment"). Ready baits are packed in lids from matchboxes and unfolded in meeting places with ants.
- On a special saucer or in a simple plastic cover, pure boric acid or borax is poured so that the bottom is completely covered, and honey or jam drips in the middle. The ants who get to the sweetness will get smeared in the poison and carry it to the anthill.
When making baits, it is important to correctly maintain the amount of poison in the recipe. In this case, the trap for the ants with their own hands will always be cheaper than the one bought in the market.
And we should always remember that traps from ants, even the most effective, do not give a quick result. If pests need to be removed here and now and the location of the anthill is known, it is more rational to use insecticides in the form of aerosols.