If lice appear on the head, the treatment should begin without delay. These insects reproduce very quickly, and a week of inactivity will provide the infected with several hundred new parasites on the head. In addition, lice are the cause of a serious skin disease - pediculosis, and in very rare cases, these parasites can even be carriers of deadly infections: endemic and typhus. Therefore, knowing how to cure head lice is not only useful, but also necessary for every future or already established parent.
As practice shows, not all correctly distinguish the concepts of lice and nits. Actually lice are called adult lice. The latter are smaller in size, but outwardly similar to adults and also feed on human blood. Nits are louse eggs , immobile and simply glued to the hair by females so that a person can not shake them off.
Accordingly, treatment for head lice is the destruction of adult insects and removal from the hair of nits.
On a note
The incompatible expressions "treatment of lice on the head" or "treatment of nits" are incorrect from the point of view of a specialist parasitologist. Lice are not sick at all and they do not need to be treated. It is necessary to treat the disease that they cause - lice in a popular way, or pediculosis - in a professional way.
Symptoms of lice
Treatment of lice should be started only when it is clear that the patient is concerned about these parasites.
On a note
The symptoms of pediculosis are caused by different types of lice. The head louse parasitizes, on the body under the clothes - a dress (the same form, but another form), and in the groin and occasionally - in the armpits and even on the eyelashes - pubic.
The main symptoms of infection with these parasites are:
- Constant itching on the head, body or in the groin area (depending on what kind of lice the person is infected with).
- Traces of bites in the form of small swells with puncture points in the center. They can be seen in the mirror. In the photo below you can clearly see how lice bite .
- Sometimes the allergic reaction appears in the form of a rash on the body and small blue spots near the bites.
- And, of course, the presence of insects themselves and nits, which almost always can be detected with a thorough examination.
If the louse itself was caught, then there can be no doubt about the cause of the illness. If the insects can not be detected, however, the above symptoms are present - it is worth consulting a dermatologist, since such reactions of the body can be caused by other parasites and skin diseases.
Procedure for treatment of pediculosis
The most effective methods of treatment against lice are the etching of adult insects with head and skin treatment products containing insecticides, as well as in the mechanical removal of lice and nits from the hair.
The sequence of how to treat a lice infection is usually the following:
- The infected area of the body is treated with pediculicide drugs. Head and pubis shampoo, body - lotions. The insecticide is then washed off.
- Special hard metal combs carefully comb out hair to remove dead parasites and nits.
- Hats and clothes of the infected are cooked or washed at high temperature, it is desirable - and bed-clothes.
- After a week, a control treatment is carried out to destroy the larvae, which will be recovered from the surviving after the first treatment of nits.
On a note
Earlier, having noticed a louse, they used the most effective method of treatment - they cut their head or shaved other parts of their bodies. By the way, therefore, the lack of pubic hair in women was considered a sign of debauchery - shaving the causal place was usually the women of the oldest profession, regularly picked up the pubic louse for the duty of service.
Today this method has not lost its relevance, and for boys, especially - in the spring-summer season - treatment for lice and nits is useful to finish cutting your head. This not only reliably relieves parasites, but also heals the skin under the sun.
Sometimes after getting rid of lice and nits we have to treat the consequences of their activity - allergies, ulcers, pustular irritations, very rarely - typhoid itself. Drugs for this treatment of the effects of lice are prescribed only by a doctor, and this treatment itself can be much longer and more complicated than actually getting rid of parasites.
In parallel with treatment for lice, measures should also be taken to protect the remaining family members from infection. To do this, treat lice immediately at their detection, and before that, stop direct contact with the patient - hugs, kisses, games. Do not use clothes and headdresses of a person infected with lice.
Ideally, treatment of lice on the head or body should be carried out immediately by all members of the family, even when some of them do not experience any obvious symptoms of infection. Probably, parasites already live on them, but in small quantities, and if you are too lazy to treat only one infected person from nits and lice, you can get a constantly renewed "pediculosis conveyor belt" in the house, when the already cured patient becomes infected with lice a week later from him infected another member of the family.
Pediculosis is a disease that does not tolerate stealth. You can not, for example, carry out lice treatment in children and do not report it in school or kindergarten. In these institutions, you must tell other parents about possible infestation of children with lice to help them in time to take action. Silence about the fact of infection with lice promotes the spread of these parasites and is irresponsible!
In general, the main thing that needs to be done is to quickly and effectively cure lice - choose the right drug and use it competently.
Shampoos from lice
Shampoos - this is one of the most popular drugs for treatment of head and pubic lice. They allow for effective treatment of lice in humans in just a few hours, and do not require significant effort and are sufficiently safe.
The principle of treatment of lice with shampoos is that in addition to aromatic agents and detergents, effective insecticides are included - poisons that poison lice, but are relatively safe for humans. Only in rare cases they can cause allergy symptoms in sensitive people.
Healing from lice with shampoos is necessary, applying a remedy to wet hair and thoroughly foaming it.
After that, the foam is kept on the head for one and a half to two hours (the exact time is prescribed in the instructions), and then washed off. It is advisable to cover the head with a plastic bag during the aging of the shampoo to enhance the effect.
After a week, treatment with lice and nits with shampoo should be repeated to destroy the larvae, which were removed from the surviving nits.
The best known and, judging by the reviews, the following shampoos from lice are effective:
- NOC is a remedy based on Permethrin, one of the most powerful insecticides for today. Used to treat head lice. Shampoo NOC is applied to the head for 30-40 minutes, after which it is rinsed with running water. The agent when applied to the skin can cause burning, when in the eyes, they should be washed with a large amount of water, and if you get into the stomach - drink boiled water and activated charcoal. According to the instruction, the NOC is not applied to infants: treatment against lice is possible only in adults and children over two years of age. NOC is also contraindicated in pregnancy and lactation.
- Veda and Veda-2 are analogues of the NOC from another manufacturer. Treatment of head lice with the help of the Veda is almost the same as the above is prescribed for the NOC.
Photo of Veda shampoo against lice :
- Nix is also a remedy with Permethrin as an active ingredient, but directed mainly at treating pubic lice on the hair in the groin and anus region. Nyx is applied to dry clean hair, and after half an hour it is washed off with clean water. To fix the result and reliable treatment, nits are applied in several repetitions with a break of 5-7 days. The drug is not used for treatment of lice and nits for children, it can not be used regularly and as a preventive measure. The price of one bottle of this remedy for treatment of lice is 320 rubles.
- Biosim - another shampoo that allows you to quickly recover from lice, including children and adolescents. Apply on the head for 15 minutes, for one treatment procedure, about 20 ml of shampoo is needed.
Not everyone knows, but effective treatment against lice can also be carried out using anti-flea shampoos for pets. However, to treat the head from lice with these agents should be cautious and at the very first signs of allergic reactions stop using the drug.
Special pediculicidal solutions and creams
These treatments for lice are most common, because they are universal and can be applied even to those parts of the body where there is no hair. Usually they are simply applied to infected areas, aged for an hour and washed off with clean water.
The most famous of them are the following.
MediFox, which is a Permethrin solution and allows you to treat a person from lice in one session.
MediFox is considered one of the most powerful pediculicide drugs. However, the drug, generally speaking, is not recommended to especially smear your head, since it is used mainly from clothing and pubic lice.
"Our son brought lice from school. I think he got infected with them for a long time, but only now they have become especially noticeable, and he began to behave differently. He scratches his head all the time, he can not concentrate on anything, he does not communicate with the children. I climbed the forum to look for how to treat, how lice are generally withdrawn. There, everyone advises MediFox and writes how to treat lice and nits with it. Someone wrote that they can not handle their head, but I decided to take a chance. Has bought or purchased, has spread, as advise, has smeared with Teme. Lice from him directly climbed the crowd. There are so many of them that I was horrified. They held it under the package, waited an hour, washed their heads ... And they forgot what it is! Very powerful thing, I advise everyone. "
Nittifor - a tool that allows you to treat lice on both the head and the trunk. The lotion is rubbed into the contamination site, and after half an hour, it is washed off with running water.
The analog of Nittifor is Paranit. This tool very effectively allows you to cure a child or an adult from lice and nits, but has one small drawback - it is hardly washed off the head with water. It is best to clean the head of it suitable shampoo for greasy hair.
Sprays from lice
Sprays for treatment against lice work on the same principle as lotions. Their plus is that with the help of sprays more complete treatment of the scalp is achieved - in a finely dispersed form, the spray penetrates even where the lotion is problematic to rub.
Sprays such as Lavinal, Para-Plus and LiceGuard are well proven. After applying the drug, you need, like with other drugs, wait about half an hour, preferably - under the kerchief, after which you can flush the product.
Crests in the fight against lice
Crests can be considered as a means of additional struggle against lice and nits, which greatly enhances the overall effect. It is most safe to comb out their hair after treatment with insecticides.
However, sometimes, especially when unwillingness to treat adults or children with various chemical substances from lice, combs are used independently. In this case, with their help, it is also possible to get rid of lice, but this treatment requires at least a week of time and very careful combing out the hair.
Today, special combs are produced from lice of AntiV, NitFree, Robi Comb (from Lice Guard) and some others. The effectiveness of all of them is approximately the same.
The peculiarity of such ridges is a dense arrangement of teeth, between which only a few hair pass, but insects and large nits do not themselves fit. In addition, the rigidity of the teeth themselves does not allow them to diverge, as on a conventional comb.
The comb should be carefully combed hair strand behind the strand from the roots several times a day. Usually, with careful combing, there are practically no lice on the head on the third or fourth day.
Folk remedies against lice
And, finally, folk remedies for lice. It is unlikely that any dermatologist today will advise using one of them for treatment of lice, but it is these remedies that people have been treated for many centuries, and in many remote areas they continue to be treated today.
The effectiveness of some folk remedies can be quite high, comparable to that of special insecticides. Among such means:
- Kerosene, which hair is rubbed and aged for 1-2 hours, and then rinsed. Works no less effectively than modern shampoos. It is important only to dilute kerosene correctly, so as not to burn the skin on your head.
- Potemkin water , sold in most pharmacies. Used according to the same scheme.
- Tar soap, which does not always give a 100% result, but is affordable and inexpensive. With due diligence it is quite possible to get rid of lice.
- Vinegar, not only kills lice , but also softens the fixation of nits to the hair, so that then it becomes easier to comb out of their heads.
- Cranberry juice, also considered particularly effective against nits.
- Decoction of tansy and wormwood.
Advantages of all these tools are almost complete safety for humans. Unless vinegar and kerosene can lead to irritations and burns to the skin, which, however, happens quite rarely and only if they are misused.
In conclusion, we note that it is useful to avoid communication with people demonstrating the obvious symptoms of pediculosis. This is the main requirement of prevention against lice, and when it is observed, treatment for parasites is not even required.
Getting rid of lice and nits at home for 1 procedure: