Inhibition of fleas in dogs has many specific features and nuances, associated primarily with the behavior and biology of these insects themselves. Everyone who once held or holds a pet knows about how to get the fleas out of a dog, but when it comes to specific actions, dog breeders either get lost or make wrong moves.
Fleas are considered the least dangerous parasites of animals due to the fact that very rarely they lead to serious diseases. Although they carry the causative agents of serious diseases, they rarely infect them, and most pets from such diseases are usually vaccinated.
Another thing is that fleas carry helminth eggs, of which whole colonies of worms can develop between regular etchings. That is why the fleas must be disposed of, and in case of infection the pet quickly take the necessary measures to withdraw them as soon as possible.
General rules for fighting fleas
Before you rid the dog of fleas, you must first make sure that it is she who is concerned about fleas.
This can be done according to the following criteria:
- The animal is constantly itching, and in different places. If the dog scratches only the ear or one side, perhaps a tick is attached to it (you need to carefully inspect this place).
- On the wool and skin, you can find white grains that look like salt - these are flea eggs, or the black and white spots that fall off the hair easily, are their excrement.
- If the pet likes to swim, then it can be wetted, and fleas at that time will massively move to the animal's head or jump into the water. Here they can easily be seen with the naked eye.
- Finally, the animal can simply be combed. Many parasites will remain on the comb.
Determine where the dog picked up fleas is very difficult. Sometimes even the owners themselves bring insects into the house on their clothes, and on the street fleas can cling to the pet's fur anywhere.
What is important in the detection of parasites:
- Act immediately and quickly. The fight against fleas in dogs is the more effective the earlier it was started. These insects reproduce very quickly, and already a few weeks after infection, a pet from them may not find a place. In addition, the more fleas, the harder it is to get rid of them.
- Correctly choose a remedy. Before you can get rid of fleas from a dog, you need to study available means and evaluate them in a specific case. It is necessary to be guided not so much by promises of sellers and manufacturers, but rather by the opinions of experienced dog breeders who have already managed to remove fleas from their pets.
- Act strictly according to the instructions to the product. Usually they all require the dog to be re-processed after a certain period. Neglect of this indication will lead to the need for repeated complete removal of fleas after a couple of months.
- To observe preventive measures - not to allow the dog to walk with homeless animals, to climb into holes in nature, to ride in the carrion.
For most people, the most difficult of these steps is to choose what to remove the fleas from the dog. There are a lot of tools on the market today, a good half of them are effective, but for any particular dog the best one is suitable. It should be used to get rid of parasites.
On a note
All of the following are excellent for those who are serious about taking fleas from dogs at home. They do not require special skills, equipment and preparation of the animal itself. Knowing how to get rid of fleas in a dog at home, you can always save a decent amount of money for which similar procedures are carried out in veterinary clinics.
It is important to remember that there are no means to take out the fleas forever. At least because the fleas themselves can infect the dog literally at every step and every day. Because even once getting rid of parasites completely, using different means from fleas will have to often and regularly.
Repellent flea drops
These tools are the easiest to use. Drops should be applied in the quantities specified in the instructions to the coat of the dog in the withers area to ensure avoidance of ingestion. After that, for a certain time the dog needs to be isolated from water and bathing.
Each agent has its own active substance in the composition, which determines its effectiveness.
Disadvantages of drops from fleas: a relatively high price and in some cases - toxicity for animals and for humans. Only individual preparations can be used for puppies up to six months.
The most famous drops from fleas for dogs :
- Stronghold (USA), as an active ingredient, contains Selamectin, a compound developed specifically for domestic animals. It is not toxic to dogs, even if swallowed, can be used to treat the wool of lactating and pregnant dogs, does not lead to side effects in puppies over 6 months old. Stronghold is compatible with all veterinary drugs and vaccines, and can be used against fleas for dogs of all breeds. Apply a few drops on the withers. After that, the dog should not bathe for at least two hours, it can be ironed only after half an hour. The cost of the drug, depending on the amount, is from 300 to 600 rubles.
- Bars - domestic drug, sold in pipettes cost 35 rubles each. One pipette is enough for the procedure in one dog. Drops should be applied at several points along the spine. Judging by the reviews, the tool is effective enough and with proper application it really allows you to quickly rid the dog of fleas.
- Frontline, the active substance in which is Fipronil, a powerful insecticide against fleas for dogs. Very effective, but when licking it can cause a dog to vomit. It requires compliance with security measures during the procedure.
Also known are the following preparations for fleas in the form of drops:
- Hartz UltraGuard Drops
All of them have their own distinctive features of use and should be applied strictly according to the instructions. With their help, it is easier to remove fleas from dogs than with most other means.
Drops are great when the dog rarely bathes (or does not bathe at all) and lives alone, that is, no one can lick it.
Collars from fleas are also very effective means of scaring off these insects. Their virtues are the constancy of the action, the opportunity for the dog to bathe, at any time, ease of use.
Collars also have certain disadvantages: they are toxic and can cause poisoning up to a shock in a dog, they are not used for puppies under 6 months and dogs over 10 years old, as well as sick and convalescent animals, pregnant and nursing bitches. In some cases, the collars can cause dermatitis in the neck, long not passing and more dangerous than the fleas themselves.
Collars do not kill fleas from the dog, but provide a deterrent effect. For one warm season, a dog usually has 2-3 collars worth 200 to 700 rubles. With their help, you can both remove the fleas from the dog, and prevent it from becoming infected again.
The most known dog breeders are Kiltix, Beaphar, Bolfo and Hartz.
Before you can get rid of fleas from a dog using a collar, you should consult a veterinarian about choosing a particular product, so that such a collar with efficiency would also be safe.
Shampoos against fleas
It should immediately be said that shampoos against fleas are the least effective means. Their action lasts a maximum of 5-7 days, and at the same time the dog itself needs to be able to bathe - some breeds, in principle, are not given bathing.
Behind shampoos the status of means for puppies was fixed - it is the youngest that is most easily overbought, fully processed wool. However, the first time such procedures should be carried out very carefully: the puppy can have side effects, including chills and vomiting. It is wise to bathe it once with a small amount of shampoo and test the reaction, and then use the normal amount.
Due to the fact that after swimming, adult dogs are actively licked, it is undesirable to use shampoos for them, and sometimes even dangerous. Choosing what to wash a dog against fleas, it is necessary to ask a person who has already solved this problem for the same breed.
The most popular shampoos from fleas for puppies are the following:
- Mr. Bruno
- Doctor Zoo.
It is important to remember that it is not possible to completely remove the fleas from the dog with the help of shampoo, so it is worth using either with a weak infection of the pet, or in combination with other means.
Sprays for dogs
Sprays work on the same principle as the drops, remaining on the wool and scaring off or poisoning the fleas. However, they are more effective due to extensive application throughout the animal's fur.
Sprays are quite difficult to use: they need to be applied only outdoors and only in gloves, the dog can not be ironed after the treatment, it is advisable not to give it a lick for several hours.
Although most of the sprays are low in toxicity for dogs, licking them with a dog reduces their effectiveness and sometimes leads to side effects - chills, vomiting, difficulty breathing. In rare cases, the dog can develop an allergy and dermatitis.
The optimal situation for the disposal of a dog from fleas with the help of a spray is a pet training or a long (several hours) walk. In this case, the dog can not immediately lick, and the spray will have time to act.
Today from sprays against fleas are popular Bars, Hartz, Celestial, Front Line.
Pills from fleas
This means - very doubtful and rarely used. You can take out fleas with them, but they very often cause various disorders in dogs. Most often, tablets do not allow to completely rid the animal of parasites, only slightly reducing the number of the latter.
Do not exceed the dosage indicated on the package. Violations can lead to serious poisoning of the dog.
Today, in free sale on the Russian market, you can buy tablets from fleas Capstar, Sentinel, Comfortis.
Folk remedies for fleas
By their effectiveness, folk remedies against fleas are inferior to almost all synthetic drugs, but they have the main advantage - safety. From the decoction of wormwood, tansy or chamomile with a dog, nothing will ever happen, but the fleas of such recipes are afraid. Accordingly, with proper regularity, the use of such tools will help to protect the dog from flea infestation and reproduction, and with perseverance - to remove parasites with a small number of them.
The most effective against fleas:
- pine sawdust
From them prepare various broths and infusions in which the dog is bathed or processed by her wool. In addition to safety, such recipes are also very accessible even where it is difficult to buy special medicines.
You can not use garlic for baiting: for dogs it is toxic and can lead to serious intoxication.
When using any means against fleas, it is important to remember about the regularity and compliance with instructions for their use. Many of them help and from other parasites, but using various means in the complex, it is necessary to observe security measures.
In any case, before using each remedy, it will never be superfluous to consult a veterinarian.