In most cases, fleas in cats belong to one of the most common types of fleas in general - cat flea or Ctenocephalides felis in Latin. This kind of insects actively parasitizes not only on cats, but also on other animals - dogs, rats, rabbits - and just as easily and freely feeds, at a convenient opportunity, human blood.
At the same time on cats you can meet other types of fleas - dog, rat, human, rabbit. However, for an ordinary owner of a mustached pet, all these fleas in a cat have one face - the difference between the species can only be viewed under a microscope. But from other parasitic insects these bloodsuckers differ strongly enough, therefore doubts that the cat are being harassed by fleas should not arise.
It is interesting
In the choice of owners of fleas are generally unpretentious. One species can parasitize dozens or even hundreds of different animal species. The main thing is to keep the blood warm. Of the more than 2000 species of these parasites, there are only about 30 such that are very attached to one type of hosts and can not exchange it even for close relatives. As a rule, these species parasitize at-bats and are very narrowly specialized in habitats and reproduction.
Fleas in cats: appearance and photo
Externally, fleas in cats resemble very small, smooth and shiny grain of plants. If not for their mobility, many owners of cats would not even suspect at such points of insects.
In the photo below, several parasites on the skin of the animal among the wool are clearly visible: even with some increase in them, it is difficult to examine the feet and the head:
A typical flea in a cat, regardless of the species, has a body length of about 2-3 mm. Different types of fleas differ from each other in the structure of the head and the number of bristles on the legs.
To consider in detail how fleas look in cats, you can only take an insect in your hands or put it under a microscope. In the photo you can see in detail how the flea looks like in a cat, and study the characteristic features of the body structure of this parasite:
- absence of wings - it is because of this that the insect is very difficult to catch, hold between fingers and crush
- elongated in length and flattened from the sides of the body, ensuring the ease of movement between the hair of the host animal
- very long hind legs, allowing to make giant for the size of the insect jumps
- color of the body covers: all fleas that occur on cats have a dark brown or black color.
It was the leap of fleas that became a byword. An insect can make a jump that exceeds the length of its body by 150 times. If a person had such abilities, he could jump to a distance of 300 meters.
Jumps themselves are good signs for identifying fleas. If the tiny creature found on the animal's body simply disappears from where it was just now - it's like a flea. The human eye can not see the insect jump itself: we can only detect a parasite within a radius of 20-30 centimeters from the last place of its location.
Flea in a cat differs from other possible parasites in the following ways:
- Small sizes - ordinary pliers several times larger
- dark color and mobility - fleas and lice in cats are almost everywhere, but the louse has a light color of the body and is extremely inactive. Funniness distinguishes fleas from withers.
On a note
An additional difference between fleas and lice is the placement of parasites on the fur itself: fleas move around the skin, not climbing the hairs, and lice, on the contrary, sit mainly on the hairs of the animal.
Biology of the cat flea
All fleas in domestic cats have a similar biology in general. They are all obligate parasites, capable of eating only the blood of their hosts.
Reproduction of fleas occurs with complete transformation: the female lays a portion of eggs, from which in a few days vermiformes, unlike adult insects of the larva, are removed. They feed on either organic rotting remnants or the blood of adult insects left in the feces.
It is interesting:
The word "postpones" does not quite correctly characterize the way the eggs are spread by the female flea. She, rather, shoots them: eggs fly from the body of the insect in different directions with great speed. This ensures that there is no spread of eggs in sufficient area, the removal of one larva from another and the reduction of competition between them for food resources.
Photo of feline flea eggs:
Photo of flea larvae :
The fleas of a domestic cat themselves are present on her body all the time. They jump on the animal in order to feed, and leave it when they are full. Larvae develop in the litter of the nest of an animal or simply in piles of debris. On the cat itself, you can not find the larvae.
Variants, from where fleas are taken from cats, a lot:
- Infection from street animals.
- Attack of parasites living in rest areas or walking an animal: a cat can just lie down near a mouse hole, from which the insects jump on it.
- The presence of parasites in the house. As a rule, in this case parasites bite people.
- Accidental drift into the house of insects by a man - on clothes or with objects of everyday life.
Already these reasons are enough to understand that no animal, even completely domestic, is immune from parasite infestation.
"My Sonya never went out on the street. Once, two years ago, she was taken to our house with a cat. I was shocked when she saw fleas on her. Where does a cat flea , if it does not communicate with other animals? A veterinarian arrived, looked, and said that we have all the loggias in fleas. I could not believe it: it's unheated. But nevertheless, the doctor himself from the corners began to sweep the garbage and showed us the larvae of these filth. "
Fleas as carriers of dangerous diseases of cats
The most dangerous flea in biology is their connection with other parasites and pathogens of various diseases.
So, fleas and worms in cats always exist side by side: eggs of worms are transferred by jumping parasites on the paws. And in the organism of a tiny parasite from one host to another, the pathogens move:
... and about 200 different diseases, among which - deadly for both cats themselves, and for people who hold them. Therefore, the condition of the pet should always be carefully monitored, and at the very first signs of the presence of parasites in it, start to fight them.
Signs that the pet has fleas
Find out if the cat has fleas, it's easy. Even with a small number of them on the body of animals, they already cause unambiguous symptoms:
- itch - the cat begins to worry and itchs constantly
- rashes on the skin between hairs in the form of red dots
- dermatitis on the ground especially strong bites. This sign develops quite rarely and with prolonged parasitism of insects
- severe anemia
- The excrement of insects in the form of tiny black dots between hairs
- and finally, the fleas themselves, subtle, but constantly seen visually in the wool.
Usually itching alone and the constant anxiety of the animal makes it possible to understand what a cat has fleas. Unequivocally determine the fleas in a cat can a veterinarian after inspecting the pet.
On a note:
An indirect way to find out what a flea cat has is revealing helminthoses from it. Among the cat's worms there are those whose eggs are carried only by fleas, and therefore the identification of these parasites unambiguously testifies to the pelicosis in the animal.
Immediately after the detection of fleas in the cat must start to fight with small bloodsuckers.
Means of fighting fleas
If a domestic cat has fleas, you must first choose the right means for removing them and treat them with the animal. And after that it is necessary to clean the premises of parasites.
Today, there are many effective anti-fleeces. All of them can be divided into several basic types:
- anti-flea collars - the most effective for preventing infection of a cat. It is convenient to put such a collar on a cat, which only occasionally and briefly goes out into the street. In this case, the remedy will effectively deter parasites. The disadvantages of collars are that they can cause irritation on the neck of the animal. The best known collars are Hartz, Beaphar, Bolfo.
- Insecticidal drops on the withers are an effective tool for both destroying and deterring fleas. Very easy to apply - they just need to rub into the animal's skin to protect it from parasites for several weeks - but can be toxic. Very effective drops Advantix, Stronghold, Hartz.
- Shampoos against fleas are the best remedy for cats. They have a very mild effect, are not toxic, effectively destroy parasites already present on the wool. Fleas in a pregnant cat are almost always removed with the help of shampoo. Quite popular shampoos are Celandine , Phytoelita, Lugovoi.
- Sprays from fleas are the most radical and quite toxic agents. They are used when there are too many fleas on an animal and they need to be etched quickly and immediately. They require very strict compliance with the instructions and have many contraindications. For example, fleas in a nursing cat or in kittens should not be excreted by any of these remedies.
- Mechanical methods of flea removal: combing and catching fleas by hand. A very time-consuming and time-consuming method. But, for example, in kittens aged up to a month only with its help you can get rid of parasites.
In general, if a cat has fleas for the first time, it can be difficult to choose a remedy, because it is not always possible to predict if it will cause an allergy or not. It is not advisable to act by trial and error, but it is better to consult the veterinarian right away.
How to deal with fleas in cats
It is important to understand that if a cat has a flea, only by deducing their business is not limited. The fight against these parasites implies a whole sequence of actions:
- It is necessary to choose the right tool, focusing first of all on its safety for the pet.
- The tool itself must be applied in full compliance with the instruction.
- After this, it is necessary to carry out measures to remove insects from the premises. For this purpose, special aerosol insecticides are used.
- Ensure the prevention of infection by fleas and the pet, and the entire room in which it lives: lay out in the room branches of wormwood or use insecticide dust, wear an animal collar, monitor the cleanliness of the house.
In any case, if found in cats, fleas must either be changed, or thoroughly washed up with her stool, toilet and litter. It is in these places that parasites multiply with great probability, and they will become a place of secondary infection after insects are destroyed only on the animal.